Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I run Windows 7 ??? On this laptop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 carpediem12

carpediem12

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

Don't know if I can run it on this system the Laptop is about 4 years old.

Total Physical Memory 1.024.00MB
Available Physical Memory 378.05MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96GB
Page File Space 2.26GB
Processor x86 Family 6Model 13 stepping 8 Genuine Intel 1665Mhz

I've got plenty of hard drive space so no need to worry about that..My guess is no I can't

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MidwestTech

MidwestTech

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

Hi,

Microsoft has a tool just for this occasion. It is called the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and can be found here.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

This tool will examine your installed hardware and software on the PC and determine whether they can pass muster.

In my own experience, I have found that with enough RAM you can get Win7 running pretty smoothly. My portable is a two year old Eee PC netbook with a 900MHz processor. I upgraded the RAM from the stock 1GB to 2GB and it runs fine. Of course, YMMV.

Good luck,
Todd

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

Based on the specs you listed win 7 should run fine on your machine. You have plenty of ram and a good processor. :huh:

-computerxpds
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 carpediem12

carpediem12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

Hi everyone I ran that windows 7 advisor program and its given a long to do list.So I guess what its trying to say is no..lol

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Report
Computer Name:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
CPU: Intel® Celeron® M processor 1.70GHz
Memory: 1.0 GB

System Details
Custom installation required You'll need to perform a custom installation of 32-bit Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin.
Go online to get important information about installing Windows 7 on a PC running Windows XP
Windows Aero support Your current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface. If you want to experience the benefits of Windows Aero, contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is available.
Go online to learn more about Windows Aero
Outlook Express This program is no longer included in Windows 7. You can get similar programs for Windows 7 from other software manufacturers.
Go to the Microsoft website to learn more
CPU speed: 1.7 GHz Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.
1.0 GB of RAM Your PC meets the 1 GB minimum requirement.
74.6 GB free space available on C: Your hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 16 GB free space for 32-bit Windows 7.

Devices Status Details
VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP
VIA/S3G Unknown We don't have compatibility information about this device.
Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter
Atheros Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem
Motorola Inc Free update available The manufacturer provides software to use this device on Windows 7.
Get the software for free from the manufacturer's website
Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA ® Audio Controller
Realtek Check Windows Update Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work.
Toshiba BT Port
Toshiba Free update available The manufacturer provides software to use this device on Windows 7.
Get the software for free from the manufacturer's website
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
VIA Technologies, Inc. Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.

Programs Status Details
Bluetooth Stack for Windows
version 3.02.00
Toshiba Not compatible This version of the program will not work on Windows 7.
Visit the publisher's website for a possible solution
DivX
version 6.0
DivXNetworks, Inc. Free update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
Get a free update to a compatible version
Driver Detective
version 6.0.0.0
PC Drivers HeadQuarters Update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
Get an update to a compatible version
Nero 7 Essentials
version 7.01.2910
Nero AG Known issues You may experience issues running this program on Windows 7.
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
version 8.0.59193
Microsoft Corporation This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
Learn more about the Compatible with Windows 7 logo
Microsoft Works
version 08.05.0818
Microsoft Corporation This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
QuickTime
version 7.1.6.200
Apple Inc. This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
version 2.0.5000.0
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.

Windows XP Mode is an optional feature available in Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate that has extra system requirements.
Visit the Windows XP Mode website for more information
Requirement Details
Virtualization technology not supported Your PC does not support hardware assisted virtualization technology.
1.0 GB of RAM Your PC memory doesn't meet the 2 GB requirement for running Windows XP Mode on 32-bit Windows 7. When running XP Mode, you might experience poor performance.
Extra 15 GB of free space Your PC meets the minimum requirement of 15 GB extra space for installing and running Windows XP Mode.

#5 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:16 AM

It's actually not saying that at all.

The report says that your computer will handle windows 7 fine, but keep in mind, you won't have aero theme capabilities with your current integrated graphics. Meaning, if you're getting windows 7 for the sole purpose of having all the pretty futures (window previewing in taskbar, see through taskbars, etc.) then you'll be disappointed. If your goal in upgrading is to simply upgrade to windows 7 because you want to keep up to date, then you'll be satisfied.

In my opinion, if you already have windows xp, stick with it because the advantages you'll get when upgrading to 7 won't be substantial at all unless you plan on making a great use of all the little things (other than the aero theme) like the new hotkeys, etc. If you currently have vista, go for it, because vista is terrible, and your machine will perform better with windows 7.

Edited by bradumd, 20 October 2010 - 12:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users