Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

explorer.exe crashes and restarts at specific times

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 MrSir63121

MrSir63121

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

Hello,

After days of troubleshooting via trying resolution methods from various forums, I finally have to submit a help topic, because I am out of ideas short of re-installing windows.

explorer.exe crashes whenever I do one of the following items:
- Right click on desktop to see display properties; the right-click menu never comes up; explorer just crashes. (I can get to the display properties fine through control panel.)
- Open up Start/Programs and enter an application sub-menu. Explorer doesn't crash until the sub menu opens, sometimes instantly, sometimes in a few seconds.
- Hovering over an icon on my desktop. Explorer does not crash when hovering over shortcuts, only when I hover over a file sitting on the desktop.
- Trying to open My Computer. A window opens up and the flashlight appears momentarily, then explorer crashes, which also closes the window.
- Trying to browse files via Start/Run or through Task Manager. Explorer crashes after several seconds, regardless of which drive or directory I am browsing. There may be an additional pattern there too as the time it takes explorer to die varies, but I have yet to determine a pattern if there is one. For Start/Run, the window closes, for task manager, sometimes the window freezes when explorer crashes and restarts, and the task manager icon in the task bar never goes away until I pass over it with my mouse.
- Trying to open up administrative tools from the control panel. Other controal panel options work, but this one always crashes explorer.

I have tried the following solutions:
- Scanned for malware and removed a vundo virus using Malwarebytes. The virus was reported to cause a similar reaction to explorer, but so far no forum post sounds exactly like my issue.
- Cleaned my registry using Spotmau, PcMatic and RegTweaker. My system is moving a tad faster, but explorer still crashes.
- System Restored to a point before I started having the issue. No luck.
- Renaming explorer.exe and updating the shell value for the Winlogin key.
- Replacing explorer.exe with another copy from another computer.
- sfc purge and scan, several times, after each other failed attempt.

The first time I had this issue was right after either Comodo or Avira picked up a virus, or at least the behavior of one. It was off the Red Lobster site; I allowed the file to come in, thinking it was a false positive (Comodo has a lot of those), but was to slow to block the second warning, when it picked it up in the cache file. I do not know if this is a related event, but it is the last thing I remember that was unusual prior to this problem occuring. The only other thing I can think of is that I uninstalled SQL Server and VSS logging off of my system, because I couldn't ever get it to install correctly and I received an error everytime windows booted.

Other symptoms I am experiencing since this issue started, again maybe related or not:
- Avira won't update anymore; files download but will not install.
- Quicken will no longer open.
- Media Player 11 was having issues locking up and would cause explorer to crash continuously. That issue is resolved since I reinstalled it.

I should probably also mention that my HD is on its last legs. I am trying to correct the explorer issue before I attempt a final backup, which will be used to ghost my new HD. If I can't do it, oh well, but fixing this issue first would save me a lot of time (or would have, at this point).

Please let me know if any other information may be helpful. I am not too experienced pulling system logs, but take direction very well :-)

Thanks for your help!!!

Jeff

Edited by boopme, 29 October 2010 - 02:51 PM.
Moved from XP to AII. ~BZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrSir63121

MrSir63121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:00 AM

I forgot to mention, I'm running XP SP3.

#3 raju50

raju50

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:47 AM

Try Spybot Search & Destroy. http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-amp-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html

#4 MrSir63121

MrSir63121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:50 AM

Try Spybot Search & Destroy. http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-amp-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html

Thanks, installed and ran Spybot and it caught a couple things and cleaned them, but the effort did not resolve my issue.

Jeff

#5 raju50

raju50

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

Try Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool. http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/

#6 raju50

raju50

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

You can also try Advanced SystemCare. http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-2086_4-10407614.html?tag=mncol;1

#7 raju50

raju50

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:02 PM

IObit Security 360 is also good. http://download.cnet.com/IObit-Security-360/3000-8022_4-10967594.html?tag=mncol;1

Before Kaspersky, you should try the other two products.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

Hello better to run MBAM than IoBit as they use use MBAM database anyway. Malwarebytes' accuses IOBits of stealing their programs malware definitions
Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Download Link 1
Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Edited by boopme, 24 October 2010 - 12:58 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 MrSir63121

MrSir63121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:30 AM

I ran MBAM again, and it found one infection. Here is the complete log.
----------
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4949

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

10/26/2010 1:25:15 AM
mbam-log-2010-10-26 (01-25-15).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 156183
Time elapsed: 24 minute(s), 19 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\hkey_local_machine.reg (Rogue.AntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
----------
This did not resolve my issue.

I am going to hold off on trying the other malware/adware checkers until I here back on the analysis of this log. I want to make sure I am following one set of directions at this point, not only to make troubleshooting easier, but also to let future forum users with similar issues track this attempt easier.

Thanks!

Jeff

#10 raju50

raju50

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:42 AM

There is also one more option that can help i.e download free trial of Norton Antivirus to do a full scan of your pc. http://us.norton.com/downloads/trialsoftware/offer.jsp?pvid=nav2011

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:54 AM

Hello, Yes no sense having a second AV active on a PC,this will cause conflicts,False positives and slowness.

Next run ATF and SAS: If you cannot access Safe Mode,run in normal ,but let me know.

Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 MrSir63121

MrSir63121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

I have followed the instructions above. Here are my SUPER logs. Issue still unresolved after running these scans, but not sure if they were supposed to resolve it or just point to the issue.

I'm thinking as of now that I may have a corrupt folder or directory that is causing the explorer failure. If you check my original comments you will see that I can navigate some areas, but not others, even when I try to access them through the same manner. I am willing to follow whatever path is recommended because I am not texspert, but I'm wondering if I my problem is something other than a malware issue.

SUPER Logs:
-----
SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 10/26/2010 at 11:41 AM

Application Version : 4.44.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 5755
Trace Rules Database Version: 3567

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:56:47

Memory items scanned : 249
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 10526
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 33113
File threats detected : 181

Adware.Tracking Cookie
cdn.eyewonder.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
cdn.insights.gravity.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
cdn4.specificclick.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
cloudfront.mediamatters.org [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
core.insightexpressai.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
cp.media.cfsm1.cedarfair.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
interclick.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
macromedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
media.ign.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
media.kmov.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
media.mtvnservices.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
media.tattomedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
media.vmixcore.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
media1.break.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
mediasuite.multicastmedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
msnbcmedia.msn.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
msntest.serving-sys.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
objects.tremormedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
oddcast.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
secure-us.imrworldwide.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
udn.specificclick.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
www.toontrack.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\8YYRZUY3 ]
.advertising.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.2o7.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.2o7.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.winzip.122.2o7.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
stat.onestat.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.serving-sys.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.serving-sys.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.ads.pointroll.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.pointroll.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.atdmt.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.bs.serving-sys.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
citi.bridgetrack.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
citi.bridgetrack.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
magnet.traffic.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.collective-media.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
click.bsftransmit50.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.247realmedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.revsci.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.intermundomedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.intermundomedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.interclick.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.a1.interclick.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.a1.interclick.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
ad.yieldmanager.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
eas.apm.emediate.eu [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
eas.apm.emediate.eu [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.insightexpressai.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.insightexpressai.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.sojern.122.2o7.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
www.toontrack.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
www.toontrack.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.toontrack.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.toontrack.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.lfstmedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.lfstmedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.ads.pointroll.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.eyewonder.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.eyewonder.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.tacoda.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.revsci.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
ad.yieldmanager.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.msnbc.112.2o7.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.imrworldwide.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.imrworldwide.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.questionmarket.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.questionmarket.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.trafficmp.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
sales.liveperson.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.microsoftwindows.112.2o7.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.realmedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.invitemedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
cdn4.specificclick.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
sales.liveperson.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.trafficmp.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.specificmedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
cdn4.specificclick.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.advertising.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.at.atwola.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.at.atwola.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.realmedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.specificclick.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.specificclick.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.tribalfusion.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.tacoda.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.ru4.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.ru4.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
media.vaultsol.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.kanoodle.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.adecn.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.247realmedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.msnportal.112.2o7.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
in.getclicky.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
stat.onestat.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.microsoftsto.112.2o7.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.atdmt.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.liveperson.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.liveperson.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.pointroll.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.invitemedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.collective-media.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.lucidmedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.lucidmedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.chitika.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.media6degrees.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]
.media6degrees.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies ]

Trojan.Agent/Gen-Nullo[Micro]
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER\VISUALIZATIONS\G-FORCEPREVIEW_WMP.DLL
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER\VISUALIZATIONS\WHITECAPPREVIEW_WMP.DLL
-----
Thanks again for all of the help!

Jeff

#13 MrSir63121

MrSir63121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

I should also mention that I re-installed Media Player 11 and am no longer having issues (though I'm wondering if my visualizations will work now with the two trojans quarantined with SUPER). I also re-installed Avira and I can now upload updates, but I have to manually trigger the scan for the scan to actually work; scheduled scans initiate, but never actually start looking through files. I'm not looking for help on this yet (will post a separate topic if needed), but thought these might give further clues to what is going on with explorer.

Thanks again!

Jeff

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

Good ,last check and then we can mop up,do an online scan.

Trojan Nullo was in the Windows media player,visuals files.. Lets see if there is a last bugger.

Please perform a scan with Eset Online Antiivirus Scanner.
This scan requires Internet Explorer to work. Vista/Windows 7 users need to run Internet Explorer as Administrator.
To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.
  • Click the green Posted Image button.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box:
  • Check Posted Image.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications. (If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
  • Click the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer.
  • If offered the option to get information or buy software at any point, just close the window.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
  • Push the Posted Image button, then Finish.
  • Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply.
Note: A log.txt file will also be created and automatically saved in the C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\ folder.
If you did not save the ESETScan log, click Posted Image > Run..., then type or copy and paste everything in the code box below into the Open dialogue box:

C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Click Ok and the scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the contents of log.txt in your next reply.
-- Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.

Edited by boopme, 26 October 2010 - 06:49 PM.

#15 MrSir63121

MrSir63121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:05 AM

Here is what I got from ESET. I hope this is the right thing, as the log I copied only had one line in it.
-----
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Downloads\Nero-8.1.1.0b_eng_update.exe Win32/Toolbar.AskSBar application deleted - quarantined
-----
Let me know what I need to do next.

Thanks again!

Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users