Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BC Chat for Android

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

If you have an Android phone, you should check this out; it's really cool!

I was on the channel today and I thought it would be really neat if I could stay connected to BC chat at all times. This way, I'd be able to bug all my favorite chat regulars! HOW COOL? WAY COOL!

I did a search on the market place for "irc" and several apps returned. Of course there are always free apps and paid ones (paid are "usually" better) so I had to do some homework on them.

After reviewing about 5 different IRC's for Android I settled on Android IRC ($4.95).

It's a great app that allows you to manage multiple IRC servers and it's one of the only ones that will continue to run in the background.

Also, it seems to be the most stable.

If you have Android and you enjoy chatting in BC Chat, you should definitely get yourself hooked up with one of these apps.

I'm recommending Android IRC! It's only $5!
for3ver,
goose90proof

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

There are many chat clients for Android phones and iDevices. I use YAAIC for my Android based phone and it does what I need it to do and it's FOSS so I don't feel like a heretic using it.

Posted Image

#3 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:08 AM

I've been having problems with my chat client!

It was working great for like a day and then took a dump on me.

I emailed the dev and he asked me what network I was on.. I said Verizon and he said they block IRC on some of their networks.

He said the only way I'd be able to use it is if I could hook up to WiFi.

I'm using the Droid X and I can enable wireless tethering, but can I connect to my own WiFi?
for3ver,
goose90proof

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:32 PM

Assuming you Droid X works similarly to my Samsung Moment, I don't think so. When I connect to wifi it turns off the cell Transmitter/Receiver so if your using your phone to connect to the internet you cannot supply a WiFi hotspot for others.

Posted Image

#5 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

This makes meh angreh!

I want to be able to serve myself wi-fi via wireless tethering so I can use the IRC client. I need to be able to play snowball! I MUST!!!
for3ver,
goose90proof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users