Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to load Norton in Win XP Home Prem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 tyl604

tyl604

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

Emachines desktop t2698 running WinXP Home Premium; 1.5 gig ram and 500 gig Hard Drive.

My problem - unable to load Norton Security Suite that comes free from Comcast. After spending hours with escalated manager at Norton, they tell me there is maybe a permission problem (Win XP) and I need to reformat the C drive and reload Windows XP Home Prem. I roll my eyes when a troubleshooter says this because it typically means that he does not know what to do and is grasping at straws.

I think Norton is just guessing. They uninstall the old attempts to load Norton, then try to install again and it always gets to the very end then says "Installation failed - there was an attempt to clean up your files and you should try again"... (close to that in any event). Norton says the error log tells them that this is a permission problem and they look at the registry, trying to find a driver called BHDrvx86 and it is not there. The error log - they said look for an "a" error in the Url.txt error log. The log reads a=800705AA&b=System\CurrentControlSet\Services\BHDrvx86\Instances. However, Norton could not identify the 800705 code; did not know what it meant. I kept the error log if it is of any benefit.

I tried also to install Avg 2010 and it will not install either. Therefore I wonder if this problem is actually not Norton but is WinXP.

Second problem - emachines did not give me any Win XP disc; shouldn't WinXP be on a partition (Norton guy could not find it). He viewed the three discs that emachines included (using LogMeIn), said the discs did not include WinXP and only included the software that came with the machine. Why would emachines have failed to provide me some way to repair/reload WinXP?

Appreciate your comments. Right now running without any virus protection.

PS - the following Windows updates will not load - all failed. Could this have anything to do with this problem? KB970430, 974318, 955759, 975713, 978604, 2121546, 2347290, 979687, 2630131, 2279986, and 2360937.

Edited by tyl604, 19 October 2010 - 03:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

You may have some system files issues, but to start working on this problem, you need to obtain Windows XP CD.
Can you borrow one?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:38 PM

Would you investigate this option? Just see what options are available with F11

Restoring the hard drive from the hard drive
backup copy

To restore system software from the hard drive backup copy:

1 Restart the computer, then press F11 when prompted to start the
restore process. The System Recovery program starts. You have
three seconds to press F11 before Windows starts.

2 Click a system restore option. For more information, see
“Restoration options” on page 5.

¦ Non-Destructive System Restore (Recommended)

¦ Full System Restore (Destructive)

The Full System Restore option deletes all files on your hard
Caution
drive. Make sure that you back up all personal data files before
continuing this process.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:17 AM

Broni - not sure I know anyone who has a XP disc; will give it some thought.

Chew - thanks for the info. Right now I am trying to find a workaround that is less destructive. Norton is supposed to call back today - they escalated it again. Let's see what happens.

#5 MendMyComputer

MendMyComputer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:43 AM

Have you tried a simple reg scrub?

A quick link to a regscrub for xp...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmajorgeeks.com%2FLexun_RegScrubXP_d2048.html&ei=m_G-TLvzGYW6jAev7KS2Ag&usg=AFQjCNHg-iVHeHNlKijTROIg0Eqne_VxfQ

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:35 AM

Do not try to Fix the Registry
Chewy

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

Have you tried a simple reg scrub?

A quick link to a regscrub for xp...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmajorgeeks.com%2FLexun_RegScrubXP_d2048.html&ei=m_G-TLvzGYW6jAev7KS2Ag&usg=AFQjCNHg-iVHeHNlKijTROIg0Eqne_VxfQ

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:03 AM

Chew - I know enough to stay away from the registry. However I did run the freeware scanner that MendMyComputer suggested; it did no good.

Well, it looks like I read DC3's comment too late. But the computer is working the same after the scan and clean. Tried to load Norton again but did not work. Waiting for Norton to call me this AM.

Edited by tyl604, 20 October 2010 - 10:05 AM.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:38 AM

Edited to remove my reply. After thinking about it, I decided that overall issues with installing need to be dealt with first. After that, if you still have problems with Norton install, I will repost.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 October 2010 - 11:44 AM.

#10 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

Evie - even so I think it was a good idea to contact the Comcast forum. I did that already and explained the problem. Then I ran malwarebytes and found one infection called security.something (cannot remember). I cleaned it and reran malwarebytes and have no infection. So far, so good. I tried loading the Windows XP updates and they failed again. Then I reinstalled Norton again and it failed too.

So I am hearing from Norton tomorrow; they very courteously called tonight and said they were too busy and would call again tomorrow. And I await comments from the Comcast forum. Good idea, the Comcast forum.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

It looks like your computer is infected.

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#12 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

Have you tried to install another antivirus ?

you could try downloading and installing one of the free ones such as Avast

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

Have you tried to install another antivirus ?

you could try downloading and installing one of the free ones such as Avast

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button

That's dangerous advice unless the poster first removes any other installed resident AV protection.

Edited by DaChew, 20 October 2010 - 09:13 PM.

Chewy

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:19 PM

Computer in question is clearly infected, so there is no reason to attempt anything else, short of creating new topic in "Am I Infected?", or malware removal forum.

My Website

#15 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:50 PM

Norton called this AM. Thinks I have a virus. They plan to call back this afternoon, after having me download and run SOS NBRT TT.iso which took 45 minutes. I am not sure what this does, whether it is a virus scan or might be taking a picture of my hard drive.

He mentioned reformatting the C Drive. I think I will resist that for now and post on the "Am I Infected" forum. Then wait for help from the forum.

Not quite sure what to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users