Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Log In To Msn Messenger Or Windows Update..:(

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mig

mig

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 11:05 AM

hi folks...

this is my first request for help... not sure if anybody has run into it, but i can't seem to figure a work-around for it..???

after a fresh format, i began loading back my s/w and everything seemed ok until i tried to load etrust perst patrol. the installation crashed so i cleaned as much of it out of my system that i could.

since that time, i am not able to log into msn messenger or windows update...

i think there is a relationship with the faulty installation of etrust pest patrol (as all 3 progies use the .NET framework, i think...)

when i open the MSN messenger and try to sign in, it persistently tells me that the server is unavailable. when i then check server status, i am informed it's up and running... when i try to use the tools in MSN options, it shows an error on the 'critical ports'... i am running zonealarm pro and microsoft firewalls... so i turn both of them off, and i still get the same message..:thumbsup:

when i try to log in to windows update, i get to the page where it scans to see if i have the latest updater files... it then gives me an error, saying it is unable to login to the udpate site..???

i am able to log into my hotmail account... if that means anything (related to the .NET framework...)

any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated...!!!

thanks,

mig

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mig

mig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:39 PM

any ideas folks... i'm really stumped on this one..:thumbsup:

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:51 PM

:thumbsup: to BC mig,

You will sometimes have to be patient waiting for a useful reply, everyone who helps here is a volunteer and the person with the knowledge to fix your problem may not be along for a while.

The golden rule with security software on your PC is 1 anti-virus, 1 firewall, many anti-spyware programs, with occasional online scans to supplement.

Do you have a system restore point you could go back to before the problem with Pest Patrol? If so do that.
Then turn off the Windows firewall if you are going to stick with Zone Alarm.
Then follow my standard blurb:

Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

See if that helps :flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 19 November 2005 - 08:53 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 mig

mig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:19 AM

thanks rimmer... and sorry if seaming impatient... these machines do that to me at times... hahaha

i have tried just running ZA, leaving the XP firewall turned off, and yes, to most other recommendations.. i try to keep all my definition files up to date...:0

re: restore points... thta also is acting starnge.. it seems i am only able to save one (the most previous), even though i have increased the allowance of space, etc... so, unfortunately, i wasn't able to restore when the prob first developed... i've trying to read at MS and elsewhere, but have come up empty, and am afraid i might be loading even more chit onto my system, as i try to fix it... hahah

thanks again for the welcome.. and the reply... and i'll keep my fingies crossed that somebody has some ideas about what my prob is...;)

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:25 AM

...and yes, to most other recommendations

Can you specify what you do run please. E.g. I haven't seen any reference to an Anti-virus package yet.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 mig

mig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:47 AM

...and yes, to most other recommendations

Can you specify what you do run please. E.g. I haven't seen any reference to an Anti-virus package yet.
:thumbsup:

kaspersky professional... sorry didn't mention that...

i also regularly scan with adaware, spybot, pcmedic, reg doctor, and system mechanic professional...

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:39 AM

Try running chkdsk and defragging. Run chkdsk first.

Running Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...kd_tro_tvlq.asp

Louis

#8 mig

mig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:58 AM

thanks louis... all clean with the scan..;)

i truly believe it's a s/w issue, and most prolly related to some corruption in the .net messenger or .net passport config...

i've tried uninstalling and re-installing messenger many times... as well, i've tried re-installing the etrust pest patrol progie, but it failed to properly install again...:thumbsup:

getting close to pushing the reformat button again... boooohoooo

#9 tailpipe

tailpipe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:39 PM

i have the same problem not sure what to do

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

Hi and Welcome to Bleeping Computer,

I do not know how to solve your problem but you really should start a new thread for your problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users