Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Xp Firewall Worth It?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TexasRock

TexasRock

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:25 AM

I run XP and was wondering if the firewall is good? Also, what is the best way to keep it up to date?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 02:26 PM

Not compared to the freeware.

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Sygate 5.4(I personally use)
Zone Alarm

Best of all... they are free.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 02:37 PM

TexasRock: Let me quote something we have in our HijackThis and Analysis Forum.

If you do not run a firewall, download one. This also applies to using Microsoft's built-in firewall with Windows XP SP-2. The problem with the built-in firewall is that it only monitors what tries to get in, anything that is already in your system, can dial out. So if you have a Trojan that steals passwords, the passwords can be sent out... Of course this can also happen to your financial data, or social security number, etc. So a, so called, one-way firewall is not good! Use a good firewall like Sygate Personal Firewall or ZoneLabs Zone Alarm.

Please also see this tutorial on Understanding and Using Firewalls.

Thanks,
JC

#4 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 02:52 PM

I wholely agree with our esteemed moderators. Get a different firewall! I use Zone Alarm, and I am pleased with it! :thumbsup: A word of advice, though; once you get a new firewall, make sure to disable the built in firewall that comes with XP: if you don't, it will cause all kinds of connection problems (I learned this the hard way!). As acklan stated, only one should be running. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users