Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I check if I still have the redirect virus?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rififi

rififi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:58 AM

Hello,

For the past month or more I've been dealing with the Google redirect virus (I get Scour a lot, as well as a bunch of other redirect sites). I've scanned my system with Spybot, Malwarebytes, Avast and Hitman - a couple of these programs (Malwarbytes and Hitman) were able to detect and remove suspicious files, but never got rid of the virus.

It seemed to be happening only in Firefox - I also have IE and use it seldom, but it didn't seem to redirect. I ended up uninstalling Firefox completely and installing Google Chrome, and have been using that instead as my primary browser. No problems thus far, it works beautifully, but I know if I was on Firefox I'd still be getting redirected.

I'm still concerned about my security, but my antivirus programs haven't been able to detect any malware. Is it safe to transfer information over this browser because it doesn't seem to redirect? How can I check if my computer's still infected? (With Google redirect as well as other potential viruses?)

Advice is very much appreciated, thanks for your time.

Edited by rififi, 19 October 2010 - 01:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:12 PM

I would try reinstalling Firefox and see if the redirects are still there.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users