Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:15 PM

I'm having issues with a laptop, Toshiba Satellite A215S4697 running Windows Vista. The hard drive makes a continuous clicking sound upon booting and displays a black screen with an error:

"For Realtek RTL8100E/8101E Fast Ethernet Network Adapter v.1.02 (060529)
PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable
PXE-M0F Exiting PXE ROM"

I am aware now that it is showing this because it is attempting to boot from LAN, but what my problem is that when I went into the system BIOS and disabled the option to boot from LAN, I noticed the hard drive wasn't being recognized as a boot device. Is this a sure sign of a bad hard drive or could it be some other issue? How can I fix this? Also if the hard drive is the issue, is there a way to recover some data from it via a software such as norton ghost or other hard drive recovery softwares? Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:21 PM

If the hard drive is clicking and not recognized in the BIOS replace it.
Chances are really good that you will not be able to recover anything that is on it at this point as the system is not even recognizing the drive.

Take the drive out and see if the connectors are IDE or SATA. If it is SATA you may be able to connect it to a tower system and possibly recover something off of it if the system BIOS sees the drive.
Its certainly worth trying.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:00 PM

Replace your CMOS/RTC battery, if you can find it...then reset date/time and boot options.

The PXE boot thing is normally the default setting on a system made by an OEM...and it comes up sometimes when the CMOS battery is dying/weakening.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users