Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deciding on New Laptop: Toshiba, Sony, or ASUS

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Miroku16

Miroku16

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

Hey, I have been in the market for a new laptop for some time now. For the past 5-6 years, I have been using an Acer Aspire 5520-5912. It has been good, but it is starting to show annoying signs of age. I have been considering a step up from this particular laptop. Online, I have seen that acer is okay, but not as good as the brands Sony, Toshiba, and ASUS. Now, I'm in a bit of a jam. I'm trying to find the laptop right for me, but there are so many choices at different prices. However, I have a general idea of the type of laptop that I'm looking for based on these guidelines:

Brands: Toshiba, Sony, or ASUS (suggestions of better brands are welcome)
size: all purpose(mid-size) or destop replacement (no portables, they don't fir my style of usage and I already have a pocket pc that I take with me almost everywhere I go anyway)
Screen- Doesn't have to be bigger than 15.4 inches like my acer, yet a bigger and crisper screen is desired.
Ram: 4 GB; or something at least higher than what is offered by my acer
graphics card: not too important, just the minimum, since I am not much of a computer gamer.
Hard drive memory: More than acer, which currently holds up to 160 GB; possibly at least 300, depending on the price.
processor: i3
Operating system: Windows 7 (the highest quality as possible)
Design: Even though it doesn't matter too much to me, if possible, I would like it to have a stylish physical appearance to it.

Style of usage: Quick overall operation of programs, quick response times, and quick internet surfing; typing papers for school; listening to music; holding music pictures, and videos; occasional video editing; computer that has a good screen resolution for viewing flash videos (youtube) and movies (especially on Dvds; blu-ray not important to me); a good quality webcam for clear and crisp chatting sessions with my friends on skype; useful/functional features from the computer'specific brand, either on the surface of the computer or inside it; wireless capabilities; comfortable keyboard/click buttons and a numeric key pad.

Where will it be used the most: In a room of a house or dorm room. I would like to have the option of taking it out every now and then, but it will mostly remain stationary in a room.

Most IMPORTANTLY,Price Range: $1000-$1500 (if there is a computer that is better with a slightly higher pricetag, please suggest it.

Here are my guidelines for a new laptop that I am looking for. I'm trying to be as specific as possible, because I want to have the best quality laptop as possible from the brands that I listed above. I don't want to overpay for features that I won't ever need or use, but I don't want to pay for a computer that isn't equipped with the things that would fit my lifestyle. Keep in mind, I know a little bit about computers, yet I am far from being an expert at it. So, if there are some suggestions that any of you guys may have that don't specifically match the ones I have above, yet are beneficial and fit my needs, I am open to your ideas.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to check out my post of my quest of finding the perfect laptop for myself. I hope to hear each of your suggestions soon.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:36 PM

I tend to prefer HP laptops, they make decent quality laptops, but thats not what sticks out to me, its their customer service that really sticks out to me. On that note, I have no experience with Sony but ive read a lot of good reviews on them, and ive liked every Toshiba and Asus laptop Ive seen. Im amazed your Acers held out that long, with the exception of their higher end machines, tend to have a high failure rate due to cooling issues, but it sounds like you got a good deal on it. And thats a nice price tag, would something like this work for you? or this? I know you said you wanted i3, but for 1500 dollars you can get a lot better, both of these are i5s, and if you want cheaper, you can use one with a phenom that I believe would outperform the i3 for less (probably not the i5 though) anyway, just my .02 cents.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

These are both good suggestions. Both of reasonable price and specs. HP appears to be another option as well. Also, I have a couple more things I'd like to add for the things I'm looking for in terms of structure, mostly for keyboard:

Backlit keyboard
Possibly a styled keyboard that is found in macs or something better than that.
Windows Professional

But yes, these are good. However, I would like to know about a good computer offered from Sony and Toshiba as well. Anyways, thanks for your input.

Edited by Miroku16, 19 October 2010 - 05:19 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:41 PM

Windows xp professional, vista professional, or 7 professional? This is probably one of the best Sonys that Ive found, though Im not to impressed, only has an i3, for that kind of money you can get a HP or ASUS with an i5. here is a Toshiba with windows 7 pro and one with XP pro on it. Honestly, again, I think theyre a bit overpriced but decent laptops.

Its hard to find a laptop with a backlit keyboard, at least from those brands, Alienware (now Dell XPSs) or the Acer Ferrari line are the best bets there, and even then not garenteed.

Edited by the_patriot09, 19 October 2010 - 05:42 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:23 PM

Hey, just wanted to let you know on some laptop brand information. From tests, Toshiba is supposedly, the "best brand" according to many sources, then Apple, Dell, and Samsung.

I currently have an ASUS laptop, and love it. People have said the customer service is crap, though.

Good luck. :blink:

#6 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:03 PM

Oh, I meant by Windows 7. No way that I'm going back to vista, and I already run XP on my current desktop, which tends to be slugish at times. Now, I checked out some of the specs for the HP and it appears to be solid. Is this thing new, because I can't find good reviews on it. Can anyone find a good detailed review for it? Some of the specs I am indeed impressed with. Main one is it's slim and sleek aluminum appearance. One shocking spec is it's battery life of at least 7 hours, which blows my acer's 1.5 hours out of the water, especially with a i5 processor. A 17.3 LED screen and it has a blu-ray? Awesome! Thanks Patriot for finding this laptop for me to examine. Out of all of the ones you gave me to look at, does the HP stand as the tallest? In my opinion, it seems to be the better buy.

As for the backlit keyboard, it's not that important to me. Since it will mostly be in a room, I will have enough lite to type with it. Also, thanks toop4 for your information. I have a question for you though. Based on Patriot's suggestions, which is the best overall laptop, including better features and price?

If anyone else has any suggestions or questions about what I want in a laptop or the usage of it, just post away.

#7 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:24 PM

Toughy.

I like Lenovo a lot, and also Toshiba. And from what I've heard, MSi is good too. I found this one, and like it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152207 .

It's a little higher end, but it should last a while. Otherwise the ones that Patriot said look good, too. :blink:

Hope this helps! :wacko:

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:56 PM

Actually, yes, that HP, performance wise, will outperform anything else I recomended, and it does indeed look like a brand new model-Im not finding much in the way of reviews on it either, I havent personally used it, I tend to like HP, because they make good quality laptops-Im not necessarily saying theyre the best quality, but they are definetly up there-but what stands them apart from all the other manufacturers I've dealt with is their customer service-they have a 5 star customer service team. here is just one example Ive had with them-I purchased a refurbised laptop with a 1 year warranty-a week before the warranty expired, my LCD screen on it died. I contacted HP support, and they sent me the box and shipping materials, had them the next day, paid for first class shipping both ways, and had the laptop back to me with a brand new screen, before the week was over. It is really hard to beat that. Like I said, that is just one example, I can list many more.

As for performance, that MSI laptop toop recomended will, technically outperform that HP, especially in graphics, but not by a huge margin. And while I have never dealt with MSI laptops before, I have had nothing but bad luck with their desktop motherboards and video cards. In my area, Ive seen somewhere between a 40-60% failure rate in the first 6 months of their parts. But, like I said Ive never dealt with their laptops, and it might just my our local environment, because I know there are several people here on BC, staff included who use MSI a lot and have no problems with them whatsoever. Im just giving you my personal experience with them. :D

picard5.jpg

#9 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:18 PM

That's what everything is -- personal preference. :wacko:

And it might be in your area, because the reviews for the laptop on Newegg look very good. But it's all up to you, Miroku. Nonetheless, Newegg is probably the best place to get your laptop. So just look around, read reviews, and make the purchase... donate it to me. :blink:

Have fun!
:)

#10 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:27 PM

hmm, the MSi does look cool, but it lacks a bigger screen and hard drive space. Also, I don't think it has beats audio, which isn't that important, but something that I would like in a computer since I'm a music person. I understand that you said that the MSi was better in the graphics department. However, I'm not too focused on top-notch gaming computers and high-end graphics. The only computer gaming that I will ever do is occasiional emulators of old gaming systems. As for today's hottest computer games on the market, I have no care for them. I am still set on a computer that will not only entertain me, but also be efficient in getting schoolwork done as well. So, will the HP do justice, MSi, or something else? For now, I'm sorta being won over by the HP Pavillion.

#11 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:41 PM

If it has what you want/need, and you like the look and price, I think you found your laptop. :blink:

I would suggest, though, looking for about another day, just in case. Sometimes it's a good thing to do.

:wacko:

#12 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:47 PM

Oh, cool. also, I understand looking another day. This might not be my computer until christmas. I also ran into cutomization options for the computer. For the max of $1500, whcih would be the best customizations to get for this HP?
My link

By the way, what about this HP?
It's almost the same, except more packed with features, including more processing power and a backlit keyboard
My link

Edited by Miroku16, 20 October 2010 - 12:44 AM.

#13 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

I thought this would also be beneficial to include in this thread, which are specs of my current laptop:

Acer specs

And for a bonus in comparison to the laptop, here is my current desktop specs:
Dell PC Desktop

I want to know how better the HP specs are compared to the two computers that I own.

Edited by Miroku16, 20 October 2010 - 12:19 PM.

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:05 PM

the 2 you listed are actually variants of the one I first linked to (not the same but similar) and the second one you listed with the backlit keyboard, will match if not beat that MSI, and its upgradeable to a i7 if you so chose, look like very nice laptops. I think if it were me, and I had a 1500 dollar budget, I would go with the second one you linked to, and upgrade the CPU to a i7. It already has a 5850 Graphics card, and your choice in hard drives, even a 160 gig SSD drive if you so chose.

picard5.jpg

#15 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:54 PM

So, what you are saying is that the Envy 17 is better? Also, the core i7 sounds good too. If possible, what other ways would you customize the hp envy besides a core i7, or other ways without getting a core i7? Some questionable upgrades would be the following:

Stick with home premium, or upgrade to professional or ultimate windows 7?
HP accidental 3 year plan (not sure it is nesessary or not?)
Intel® Core™ i5-460M Dual Core Processor (2.53 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz, i5 with 3.6 GHz turbo boost, if i7, which variation
6GB DDR System memory or 8GB (fine with 6GB
500 GB HD (is fine with me)
The microsoft office 2010 beyond limited functions ($119) or stick with the included basic package v, uninstall it, and put 2007 version on it instead?
6 Cell lithum battery (cool with me)
No extra adapters at the moment (skip)

17.3" diagonal HD+ HP BrightView Infinity LED Display (1600 x 900) : or
17.3" diagonal Full HD HP Ultra BrightView Infinity LED Display (1920x1080) for 100 bucks more?

Dvd-drive or blu-ray, since I will have an HD capable screen, would blu-ray be more suitable or just stay with my basic need of dvd?

Webcam (included already)
Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth (included)
Backlit keyboard(included)
Any bags(could honestly skip this for now)

Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 8 & Adobe Premiere® Elements 8 (included)
Lo-jack software protection (not needed; use other stuff recommended at BC)
Accessories- Skip for the moment; maybe will check for printer in the future

For now, I totaled the basic price at 1,499.99 with just the addition of the core i7. I love the additon of Photoshop (which I can try) and Adobe Premiere elements (which appears to be a sweet program to use for video editing and should not have a problem on the i7 processor. The site recommended your upgrade, except with a 600GB HD for 50 bucks extra. Tell me if any of these are good deals or the most suitable or if any combinations above would be better.

One more thing: Please take a look at my current specs on the current laptop and destop that I own and tell me how the HP envy would compares to it? Better in some ways, less in other ways, or better across the board?

Edited by Miroku16, 20 October 2010 - 06:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users