Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP on an HP DV6000 Laptop

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Tom V

Tom V

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:02 PM

I have an HP DV6000 CTO laptop with an AMD processor. It came preinstalled with Vista. Vista does not suit my needs, because it sucks. In any case, I decided to wipe it and install XP.

When I tried to install XP, the installation kept crashing at various points in the install. Sometimes it would crash right away, other times it would get all the way to the point where it had copied the files, and was beginning the actual installation. And when it "crashes", what it does is it powers off the computer.

I did a little research, and determined that the problem was likely that I had an SATA drive installed, and XP didn't recognize it well enough to complete the install. If I had the Intel version of this notebook, there is apparenlty an option to disable SATA in the BIOS, but on AMD machines, there is no such option. So I was advised to use "F6" during the install of XP to install a third party driver. I downloaded the XP driver for the SATA drive, and tried to install.

However, I quickly learned that, when installing XP, the only way to install a thrid party driver is with a floppy drive, which the computer doesn't have. Searching for a workaround, I found several programs that claimed to be able to integrate my new chipset drivers with the XP install, but none of them worked. I still had the same problem - the XP installation would simply shut the computer down at various points in the install. Could it really be impossible to install XP on this computer? HP has drivers for XP on its website that I can download, so the computer must have come with XP installed as an option. I just can't figure out how to install it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Tom V, 18 October 2010 - 09:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users