Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 crashes constantly

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 deesto

deesto

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

If I leave my PC on for 24 hours or so while running Windows 7 64-bit, it is almost guaranteed to shut down unexpectedly. I look in the event logs afterward, and there is no trace of a problem, except on start-up, when Windows reports that "the previous shut down was unexpected". Not very helpful. Anyway, I would suspect some sort of hardware or overheating problem, but I've tried a few system monitors that don't seem to indicate any trouble, at least not when I'm running them.

I have the latest Windows updates installed, although of note is that anytime there's a .NET 4 framework update, I need to run a .net clean-up utility in order to get them installed, otherwise the Windows update just sits and spins without ever finishing.

Are there any utilities that might do a better job of tracking potential Windows problems than Windows does? or maybe does a better job logging?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:34 PM

Is your computer over heating? Give more details, such as the make and model#, desktop, laptop, etc.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 deesto

deesto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

Hi Jacee,

Is your computer over heating?

I don't think so, although that's what I first suspected, and I do think it runs a bit hot at times, but no evidence of overheating that I can see. Current system temps are 32/56/52 deg C, 32 deg C for the GPU, and a reported 0 deg C for the CPU.

Give more details, such as the make and model#, desktop, laptop, etc.

Not that simple, I'm afraid: it's a Gateway DT5426E chassis, but everything else has been upgraded: gigabyte ma785gm-us2h motherboard with an AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU, 4 GB of G.Skill DDR2 SDRAM (4x1GB), NVIDIA GeForce GT 200 GPU, CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W power supply, a few SATA disks, and an extra PCI-slot chassis cooler fan.

Is that enough detail? ;)

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:36 PM

Have you ever had the side panel off and used a can of compressed air?

BC PC cleaning tutorial.

#5 MidwestTech

MidwestTech

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

Hi,

Nice rig - I'm running the same motherboard on my main box.

I have a couple of observations/questions for you. Is it possible you are having a power event (brownout, etc) that could be causing/contributing to this? Since this does at first glance seem to be a heat issue, have you checked that the heatsink is securely fastened to the CPU? And lastly, have you reseated all MB connectors?

Thanks,
Todd

#6 deesto

deesto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:57 AM

Hi Thunderz,

Have you ever had the side panel off and used a can of compressed air?

BC PC cleaning tutorial.

Yes, about every month or so. But that's a great tip to help avoid overheating for those who don't know about it.

#7 deesto

deesto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:01 AM

Hi Todd,

Hi,

Nice rig - I'm running the same motherboard on my main box.

Cool. ;)

I have a couple of observations/questions for you. Is it possible you are having a power event (brownout, etc) that could be causing/contributing to this? Since this does at first glance seem to be a heat issue, have you checked that the heatsink is securely fastened to the CPU? And lastly, have you reseated all MB connectors?

Thanks,
Todd

It's definitely possible that power is an issue, as our wiring is pretty old. As soon as I can, I plan to buy a decent UPS. But maybe you're right: if it's not a heat issue (which it may still be), it could be as simple as losing power, and I don't think any logging or monitoring with out a UPS would detect that. I don't think the heatsink or MB connections are an issue, as I did those myself and checked them during various component installs, but it certainly can't hurt to check them again.

Thanks.

#8 deesto

deesto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

I have systematically replaced every component of this system, and it's still locking up in Windows 7 64-bit. I have preliminarily ruled out power spiking, as I see no symptoms of this when the freezes occur.

In the past month, I have replaced the case (added air flow), the CPU cooler, added case fans, reseated every wire and connection. CPU temps are down to about 40-50 C (used to get close to 60) and system temps are down to 30-40 C under normal use.

What happens is, every once in a while, the system will completely freeze. Sometimes I can tell it's about to happen as the mouse/pointer becomes very sluggish and jumpy, and then everything stops. And sometimes it just freezes without warning. The only indicator I have is that I have a USB keyboard with an LCD screen (Logitech G15), and I can see system stats like CPU and memory usage. Whenever one of these freezes occurs, I can see that one of the 4 CPU cores is spiking at somewhere between 50-100 %. This is the only consistent symptom: there is _always_ a CPU core spike whenever a freeze occurs. What triggers the freeze is sporadic: opening an Explorer window, clicking the Start menu. Oddly enough, the only time the system does _not_ seem to freeze is when a graphic-intensive game or something is running, which is exactly when I would expect such a freeze. The graphics card is an NVIDIA Galaxy GT220 PCIe.

The only other thing I can think of is that once in a while, I hear the Windows sounds for a USB device being unplugged and then plugged back in, when nothing is physically changing.

Ideas? Help? Please? :inlove:

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:46 PM

Have you replaced the power supply?

#10 deesto

deesto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:55 PM

Have you replaced the power supply?

Yes: the original chassis power supply was replaced a few months ago with the Corsair mentioned earlier. The problem started before this component was replaced.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:05 AM

Sounds to me like you have a short somewhere on your computer. I would take all the components out, then reassemble them on a rubber or cardboard mat and see if it doesn't crash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users