Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire Netbook Failure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

Hi all!

SO, here's the deal:

I bought an Acer Aspire Netbook about a year ago (running Windows 7 Starter Edition) and immediately started having issues with it. Acer tech support was no help at all (and incredibly rude, too!). Let me start at the beginning.

One day the computer gave me the "BOOTMGR is missing, press CTRL ALT DELETE to restart", so I pressed CTRL ALT DELETE, got the BSOD, then Acer eRecovery Management started. I was able to restore the system to factory defaults and it worked fine, until I restarted. Here are my two current issues:

1. I still get the "BOOTMGR is missing" error message.
2. However, now when I try to restore to defaults it tells me the C: partition size is 0.1 GB and when I try to restore anyways I get the following error message "There is insufficient space on the disk for the temporary files required for this operation."

I cannot start into safe mode or anything of the sort, and anything I do takes me to the Acer ERecovery Management tool, which only gives me the option to restore to defaults, which then gives me the 0.1 GB error.

Any suggestions? I'd sure like to get this thing working again.

THANKS!

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

Welcome to BleepingComputer :huh:

From the description it appears like a failing hard disk. The best option would be to call Acer for a replacement if it is still under warranty.

Else do this : Download GParted Live edition (USB or CD). Boot your computer using this. Take a snapshot or write down the details and post here the details of partitions on your laptop.
Do not make any changes using GParted. BC experts will guide you further.

#3 Paul Harris

Paul Harris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

Thanks Romeo! I've used bleeping computer in the past and everyone has always been MORE than helpful, I just couldn't remember my us/pw combo to get in :huh:

Alright, so I tried to run GParted Live from bootable USB stick but when I change the boot order in the BIOS and boot up I get "Disk error. Press any key to restart".

I appreciate the advice about having Acer replace the disk, but I'm done dealing with Acer at this point. If I can get this baby back up and running, that's great, but if not, no big deal.

Any other advice based on not being able to boot from USB?

Thanks,

Paul

#4 Paul Harris

Paul Harris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:12 AM

Update: Maybe this will help:

When I hit F10 to edit boot options I get the following message:

Path: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

[ /MININT /REDIRECT RDIMAGEOFFSET=8192 RDIMAGELENGTH=3161088 RDPATH=multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\sources\boot.wim

This is a bit above my paygrade. Any suggestions?

Thanks all!

Paul

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

Power on your computer and keep pressing F8 until you see advanced boot options menu. Choose Repair Your Computer from list. Then choose Startup Repair

If this does not work, then use your Windows 7 DVD to boot from and choose Repair your computer then choose Startup Repair

If you do not have Windows 7 DVD then you can download Windows 7 Recovery ISO image. Burn it to a CD using a program like ISORecorder.

#6 Paul Harris

Paul Harris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

Unfortunately I cannot access Startup Repair since Acer installs eRecovery Management instead, and when I try to run that, I get a message saying that my C drive is .1 GB and there is not enough room for the temporary files needed. I don't have a DVD because it's a netbook with no optical drive. I tried making a recovery disk and then using a program to make a thumb drive bootable, but get the same disk error message as when I tried to use the partition program you mentioned earlier.

Great suggestions though. Can you think of anything else?

THANKS!

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users