Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluescreen on Windows Splash page

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tristan Hall

Tristan Hall

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hey all!

Okay, so my wife was using the computer a little while ago (this is all her fault!!! .. kidding :D) and she said it restarted on its own. No shutdown dialog or anything. She doesn't know if it flashed a bluescreen or not. However, since i've started troubleshooting i've found the following:
1/4 Second bluescreen flash then reset while the WINDOWS IS LOADING splash is displayed.
It will NOT boot in safemode w/ network (resets after the 'press esc to stop loading spdt.sys), however it WILL start WITHOUT networking, however incredibly slowly and laggy.
So far i have run one pass of memtest86 and it returned no errors. I'll let a few more run while i'm out doing laundry in a little. Took approx 40mins and showed nothing wrong.
I have a dual boot setup and i'm writing this from ubuntu, which loads just fine. Both OS on the same HD.
I tried a system restore that did nothing. Did a virus scan yesterday, showed nothing. Malware caught 3 minor threats.
When i had first gotten to the computer, my grub file was rewritten an trying to load hd UUID 1244447054446D8E6 instead of 244447054446D8E6. Deleting the '1' now points it to windows as it should be, first time i tried to boot it just hung, not knowing where windows was, of course. Not sure if this is related somehow, but it existed.

There have been no prior incidents. This is a relatively fresh install, only a couple days old. All drivers are new and from OEM sites. I haven't been monitoring temperatures yet, but i've never had any heating issues in the past.

System Specs.

XP Pro Corp Edition x64
Asus M4A78T-E motherboard
3x2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 (forget the clockspeed but the timing is 9-9-9-24)
Phenom II X4 3.21gHz
2x Radeon HD4850 xFire
SB Audigy ZS2

All problems are pointing toward memory, but memtest showed nothing. As I have heard, it could take more than one pass to show errors, so i'll let it do more, but any ideas so far?

Thanks a lot!

-=Deimos

p.s.
As of writing this, i don't have the minidump files. I don't see the directory. Going to reboot and try to enable the logging of those and see if i can post those.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tristan Hall

Tristan Hall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:02 PM

It appears i don't even HAVE the minidump folder or files, despite the logging being enabled all along. Also, in case it's relevant, i have SP2 installed and all the .net fw's

*EDIT*

Mkay, I went and stopped the auto-restart on fault and the bluescreen had this:
0x0000007B 0xFFFFFADF5D20F3C0 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034 and 2x 0xsixteen zeros

a bit of googling point s the 0x7B to boot sector virus or a boot driver? *edit* Avira boot sector scanner didn't reveal anything. May not be the best tool? If i can boot linux, i wouldn't think there's a boot sector problem, no? so maybe the driver problem?

I went through another 2 passes with no errors in memtest86 and a 2 pattern 90 minute bit fade test that produced no errors.

Edited by Tristan Hall, 19 October 2010 - 02:46 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:18 PM

Per http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm:

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

I find it odd that you can boot safe mode w/o networking...I'd uninstall the network device drivers, then reinbstall.

Louis

#4 Tristan Hall

Tristan Hall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. For the heck of it, i tried a system restore all the way back to the original install. I'll check and see if those drivers are installed, however. What makes me scratch my head on that, though, is that it worked fine for 48 hours with those drivers.

#5 Tristan Hall

Tristan Hall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:55 PM

Thanks for the reply. For the heck of it, i tried a system restore all the way back to the original install. I'll check and see if those drivers are installed, however. What makes me scratch my head on that, though, is that it worked fine for 48 hours with those drivers.

Well, i uninstalled teh network drivers and it made no differene :/ Oh, and CHKDSK fixed 3 errors and bootcfg scan was clean >_< Given the amount of time i've spent on this so far i could have formatted again and reinstalled everything...... twice. So i think that is what i will do. Bloody hell i would have liked to know what it was though *scratches head more*

Edited by Tristan Hall, 19 October 2010 - 10:03 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:42 AM

It may pop up again...I would take all precautions that seem advisable. Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users