Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Firewall For Old Windows XP machine

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:59 PM

I have an old desktop running Windows XP Home with limited resources that I have been running Comodo free firewall the last few years. I would like to replace it with a good free firewall that is light on resource demand and required user interaction. I have spent tons of time interacting with Comodo and much of the time is spent guessing on what to allow.

All recommendations appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

ZoneAlarm has a free firewall.

I have used the version that comes with the AntiVirus for years and love it. Not sure how different the free version of it is though

#3 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

Hello,

Here is a link here at BC that might help you out.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

" Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

Used Zone Alarm for years myself, until moving on.
While the free FW only is pretty good and easy to configure IMO. On older hardware it may increase start up and shut down times.

Your experience may differ.

#5 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

#6 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:03 AM

You may like to try the new Comodo 2011 firewall, which is probably quite different to what you have now. It is much quieter now with automatic sandbox for unknown applications and cloud look-up. You would need to uninstall the old one and download the CIS Installer, then choose to install the firewall without the av if you don't want that.
James

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

My PC is 7yrs old with the Win XP Home Edition OS and I am using Comodo Internet Security V5 suite and have had no problems whatsoever with it. I am a long time Comodo user and find that the new Comodo is probably the least intrusive yet in regard to pop ups and the default settings are made to operate from a non PC literate stance and keep your PC secure with the absolute minimum of user activity. It really is the best Firewall out there at the moment and by all accounts is set to get better in the future.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#8 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

I have an old desktop running Windows XP Home with limited resources that I have been running Comodo free firewall the last few years. I would like to replace it with a good free firewall that is light on resource demand and required user interaction. I have spent tons of time interacting with Comodo and much of the time is spent guessing on what to allow.

All recommendations appreciated!

Windows XP has had it's own firewall since SP2. It works without a problem. You don't need any additional firewall software.

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:47 PM

Actually if you want to have any outbound protection you do need a third party firewall.

The XP firewall is inadequate in my opinion, as it does not offer outbound protection.

My PC is as old as Blues, if not older, with only 640 meg of ram and I run ZoneAlarm Antivirus/firewall without any problems.

If I were to encounter any problems running ZA, I would do like Blues and run Comodo.

Edited by Stang777, 02 November 2010 - 09:50 PM.

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:33 AM

Outpost is well respected and offers free Outpost version. I think Outpost uses lesser resources than ZoneAlarm.

#11 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

Glad you said that Romero because Outpost is what I installed to replace Comodo. I also removed Avira free at the same time due to the lack of or extremely slow updates. I installed Avast free and am extremely pleased with the performance. The updates are now timely and fast.

After installing Avast and Outpost my particular old machine now has a lot more snap. I am appreciating not having to take the time to interface with the software as often and having less distractions.

I have grown to appreciate software that does it job effectively in the background that requires a minimum of user interface so I can spend more times using a computer for what it is intended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users