Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro SP2 continuously rebooting

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Selif

Selif

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

A few months ago I had an overheating problem with my desktop machine that caused windows to crash. Having had a problem like that before on another machine I identified it quickly and cleaned out the CPU heat sink, replaced the fans, and applied fresh thermal paste between the heat sink and the CPU. I also cleaned the whole tower & power supply from dust and removed and reseated memory chips, video card & network card and reseated the IDE cables and power supply connections.

The machine then functioned normally the next four times I started it. The system was NOT online for any of these sessions nor did I install or use anything that hadn't been there for over a year. Each of these sessions was several hours long and were without incident.

The fifth time I started it up, it began to boot, then rebooted. This turned out to be an infinite loop that required cutting power to stop. There was a BSOD message but it shows barely long enough to notice that it's there before it clears and the machine reboots so I've NO idea what it might say. I've tried *all* of the boot options (safe mode, last known good, Etc) on the F8 screen and they all have the same result of going into the constant reboot loop. I've run the memtest disk on it and it comes up clean.

The windows XP install CD was destroyed years ago and I no longer have one as my laptop only comes with DVD's that restore it to factory state which means I can't use them to fix the desktop.

It WILL boot from an ancient windows 98SE CD but that's not letting me get xp started.

I've even tried booting a Linux live CD (Kubuntu 10.10) in an attempt to at least recover some files but that halts a few seconds after choosing "start linux" on the opening menu.

Mobo: ASRock K7VM3 w/2GB Ram
CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

Hello,STOP Reboot loop
Do this to stop the screen so you can read it and post the error.

Click on Start, then right click on My Computer.
Scroll and select Properties, then choose Advanced tab.
Under Start up and Recovery click Settings.
Under System Failure uncheck Automatic System Restart.

Now when the BSOD occurs the screen will stop and you can write the complete error down to post. Now a member can help you a bit better.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

What kind of hard drive do you have?

#4 Selif

Selif
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

Hello,STOP Reboot loop
Do this to stop the screen so you can read it and post the error.

Click on Start, then right click on My Computer.
Scroll and select Properties, then choose Advanced tab.
Under Start up and Recovery click Settings.
Under System Failure uncheck Automatic System Restart.

Now when the BSOD occurs the screen will stop and you can write the complete error down to post. Now a member can help you a bit better.

I'd do that, but unfortunately the system reboots long before windows is running. I don't suppose I could make the change by editing a config file someplace? Or is that setting stored in the registry?

What kind of hard drive do you have?

It's a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250620A

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

Download the following: SeaTools for DOS and run hard drive diagnostics on your drive.

#6 Selif

Selif
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

Download the following: SeaTools for DOS and run hard drive diagnostics on your drive.

Ok, got it and ran both short test and long test. Both passed

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

Please do the following:

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
  • Record the error message details, and post in this thread.

Posted Image

Posted Image

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#8 hiroshi

hiroshi

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

I have this same problem but, I run two separate hard drives. C-drive and G-drive. Both hard drives are not connected to each other. I have to switch wires from one to the other. This way each hard drive in protected for any critters. Only one can get infected. Anyway, my G-drive works fine but, my C-drive has the recycling problem. I was told to use an XP boot up disc and run a repair. Will this repair the recycling problem without losing all my files favorites files?

#9 Selif

Selif
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

Please do the following:

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....

• Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
  • Record the error message details, and post in this thread.

{snip screenshots}

I don't know why I didn't see that disable option before!

Error msg:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

STOP: 0X00000050 (OxDDBEBA48, 0x00000001, 0x804E3566, 0x00000000)

There was nothing after the "STOP" line.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:50 PM

I have this same problem ............ I was told to use an XP boot up disc and run a repair. Will this repair the recycling problem without losing all my files favorites files?

@ hiroshi

Please start a new thread for your own issue, to avoid possible confusion.

Your files should be safe with a repair-installation, but it is advisable to make/have a backup copy (and it seems that you do have another copy on your other hard drive). There is however, no guarantee that this will fix your problem.

I suggest you attempt to get a look at the BSOD error message .... "disable automatic restart on system failure" and report the BSOD error message in your new thread. It may also help if you can report any events (such as a power failure? or the presence of malware? etc) that may have led to the problem. Please also include any other information that may be relevant to your own particular situation.

I suggest that you should check that your hard drive is not failing.
Download the diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer's website to create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot with it, and run the short/quick test and then the long/extended test, and check the S.M.A.R.T. status. If the hard drive tests show NO problems what-so-ever with the hard drive, then it is safe to proceed with more work to rectify the problem with the Windows system.
  • Find the brand name of your hard drive. You will find this info on the label of the hard drive (most likely you will have to remove the hard drive from the box to read the label). You will also find sufficient info to identify the drive (the model number) by looking in the BIOS Setup Menu.
  • Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
  • If you have trouble identifying your hard drive manufacturer, use the Hitachi diagnostic utility: It will work with most hard drives.
If there is no problem what-so-ever with the hard drive, then proceed with the following instructions to check the disk for file system errors and make any necessary repairs.
Start the Recovery Console using a Windows XP CD.1. Insert the CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.

2. Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)

3. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

4. The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press the ENTER key. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press ENTER.

5. You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.

6. You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt. (If you do not see this, please report what you do see.)
At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /p and press <ENTER>
(Note the space between chkdsk and the slash)
If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /p again, and repeat a third time, if necessary, until (hopefully) no more errors are found.
Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.

Does Windows start normally now?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:55 PM

I don't know why I didn't see that disable option before!

Yes, it happens! :thumbsup:
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Source: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

I've run the memtest disk on it and it comes up clean.

I cannot be sure of what exactly you have done, so please do the following ....

Test the memory (RAM).

To make a bootable CD with memtest86+
Direct download: Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.00/memtest86+-4.00.iso.zip

Extract the zip file, burn the .ISO image to CD and boot from it. Allow it to run.

There MUST be NO errors what-so-ever.
If you see an error, stop the test: Test each stick of RAM separately to sort the good from the bad.

A minimum test for some confidence in the result, should be 7 full passes (each "pass" is a series of different types of tests), with NO errors.
Allow memtest86+ to run for 24 hours for maximum confidence in the test result.
------------------------
To make a bootable floppy ...
Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.00/memte...4.00.floppy.zip
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 Selif

Selif
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:35 PM

I've run the memtest disk on it and it comes up clean.

I cannot be sure of what exactly you have done, so please do the following ....

Test the memory (RAM).

To make a bootable CD with memtest86+
Direct download: Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.00/memtest86+-4.00.iso.zip

Extract the zip file, burn the .ISO image to CD and boot from it. Allow it to run.

There MUST be NO errors what-so-ever.
If you see an error, stop the test: Test each stick of RAM separately to sort the good from the bad.

A minimum test for some confidence in the result, should be 7 full passes (each "pass" is a series of different types of tests), with NO errors.
Allow memtest86+ to run for 24 hours for maximum confidence in the test result.
------------------------
To make a bootable floppy ...
Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.00/memte...4.00.floppy.zip

Memtest86+-4.10 is included on the Kubuntu 10.10 Cd so I've been using that. It's been running for 11 hours now and is starting the fourth pass. Thus far it reports no errors.

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:16 PM

Memtest86+-4.10 is included on the Kubuntu 10.10 Cd so I've been using that. It's been running for 11 hours now and is starting the fourth pass. Thus far it reports no errors.

So far, so good.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users