Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot change permissions within MySQL using PHPmyadmin

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 warriorangel

warriorangel

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:16 AM

Hi.
I have an issue with MySOL using PHPMyadmin on a Windows 2000 server running Apcache
This setup has been running for a few years using this system and I last set up a MySQL database on this system about 4 weeks ago without any problems to add to the 30 databases already on the system.

Today I needed to set up a new database for a customer and went through the normal setup proedures, creating a db, adding a user, but when I go to do the permissions I end up with the error #1045 access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: yes)

Posted Image

I've never had this error before and all the web browsing brings me no real help with nearly all replies being for the installation of MySQL or PHPMyadmin on the server, not relating to a working setup that has just decided to play up

I really hope somone can help me here. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:32 AM

Why are you trying to do grants to your root user? By definition, root already has access to everything; You are trying to add grants to root while you are acting as root.

#3 warriorangel

warriorangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:26 AM

Ahh not a good example really. Am not trying to do root, that was just a test to see how far the problem went.

This is the error I get for the customer. Now I have a #1044 error and not a #1045

Posted Image

Have just tried doing it from fresh from Command Prompt to see whether it was possibly PHPMyAdmin that was causing the problem. but I got the same result there too

Edited by warriorangel, 18 October 2010 - 11:34 AM.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

There are tons of reasons this could be happening. For starters:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/access-denied.html

Is this a remote host that someone else runs, or is it your own server?

#5 warriorangel

warriorangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:24 AM

This is my own server that is run onsite.

I have been told that it's an old PHPMyadmin and full of bugs, and I'm concerned that the server could have been compromised somehow.

But then all software have bugs, this is why there are always upgrades and updates, so am I just being paranoid...........

I'm just wondering what could have changed in a matter of weeks. We have done no upgrades on this machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users