Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laptop won't let me start up normally *or* in recovery mode!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 christinaemcc

christinaemcc

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

Its a basic message after startup saying Windows was shut down improperly and to continue in recovery mode or start up normally....

When I choose "recovery" mode, it goes to a blank light blue screen w/a mouse pointer that I can move around. Nothing else works except the mouse.

When I choose to "start normally", it looks like it's going to start, but eventually loops back around to original black "recovery or normal start up" screen. It's very frustrating - the blue recovery screen is useless, and the start normally option just loops back.

I downloaded Windows 7 "Recovery discs" and put them in my laptop and started up, pressing F8, but nothing changed.

I can't google any error messages because there are none...

This HP laptop is 4 mos. old, my AVG virus protection is up to date, and I only use iTunes to download, so it seems unlikely that it would be a virus.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:57 AM

If it's still under warranty, call HP.