Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Volume C corrupt and unreadable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tee the Wicked

Tee the Wicked

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:32 AM

I ran chkdsk last night, as I do once a month to be on the safe side. Only problem is, my cat knocked the power cord out of the wall, and the comp basically got shut off in the middle of step 4 of 5. I rebooted, everythign worked fine for about an hour or two, everything, including firefox was working just fine. Then I went to open firefox again, and I got some sort of error with C:/$Storage, and I was told to run chkdsk. It then would not let me open firefox, and it was saying that it was not even installed. I tried to run my registry repair and cleaner program, but that was also listed as uninstalled and recieved the same error. I brought up Internet Explorer, and I got the error, but it still came up, as did task manager. Finally, I went and scheduled the chkdsk, then tried to restart the computer. The same error would not let me log out. I ended the login task to force the logout, and I got some error window that just kept popping up. Finally, I hard rebooted, and tried the repair and everything. Except, now it is saying the C drive is corrupted and unreadable, and in the drive properties it is listed as 0 bytes used, 0 bytes available, and I when I try to run chkdsk, it says it cannot connect to the drive. System Repair doesn't work, and there are no restore points(Which is funny, considering I created one before I initially ran chkdsk the first time)
When I start the recovery mode, I get prompted to choose my keyboard setting(I choose US) then it asks me to boot my OS drivers. Nothing is listed, so I can choose to go in and find the "Installation media" to boot it, but I have no clue where it would be. It is all listed under the "PQService" or "X drive"
I do not have the installation disk as the computer was bought in 07 and was pre-installed on the comuter. Is there any way to get around this without having to go buy a new installation disk? Or even a clean wipe/format of Vista? It would suck to lose all my files, but everything can be replaced.
Much appreciates for any help.

Edited by Tee the Wicked, 18 October 2010 - 09:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:42 PM

Try scanning the hard drive with the hard drive manufactures diagnostic tools and see just what the issue with your drive.

Can you tell us what kind of drive you have?

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:52 PM

I tried to run my registry repair and cleaner program,

Just an FYI for future reference.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users