Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win32-alueron-h... Reinstall Operating system?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tally622

tally622

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:02 AM

Good morning all. My nephew recently got a used computer (one previous owner) and seems to have run into some real issues. We have already gotten rid of a couple of trojans and did a system recovery with the disks provided by previous owner which seemed to work. Now it seems to be infected by win32-alueron-h. I have looked around at the other posts concerning this here and in other forums. My question would be, if I just get a new XP Pro or even a Vista Home Upgrade and did a clean install from that, would that take care of the issue? No one at his house would be able to go through all the necessary steps to successfully clean the existing system and I can't be there for the time it would take to run through everything. It would be worth it to me to just buy a new operating system for him if that would work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:25 AM

Hello and :thumbsup: to BleepingComputer!

I will move this topic to a more appropriate forum.

A reformat/reinstall, indifferent the Operating System version, would do the trick. Some general information below.

If you're not sure how to reformat or need help with reformatting, please review:These links include step-by-step instructions with screenshots:Vista users can refer to these instructions:Don't forget you will have to go to Microsoft Update and apply all Windows security patches after reformatting.

Note: If you're using an IBM, Sony, HP, Compaq or Dell machine, you may not have an original XP CD Disk. By policy Microsoft no longer allows OEM manufactures to include the original Windows XP CD-ROM on computers sold with Windows preinstalled. Instead, most computers manufactured and sold by OEM vendors come with a vendor-specific Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition for performing a clean "factory restore" that will reformat your hard drive, remove all data and restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it. See Technology Advisory Recovery Media. If the recovery partition has become infected, you will need to contact the manufacturer, explain what happened and ask them to send full recovery disks to use instead..

However, to get rid of this infection you can also follow the steps in this guide.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

did a system recovery with the disks provided by previous owner which seemed to work

Would you elaborate on this, also some details concerning the exact computer, make and model?

XP is getting hard to find and even going up in price, the computer might not run Vista very well
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users