Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns off at random losing all power

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dryken

Dryken

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:19 AM

Hi. My computer is running on windows 7 64. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to computer hardware issues, but here's my problem. This morning I was listening to music in iTunes and converting some fills and my computer just shut off. (as if it had been unplugged) I looked at the back and the green like on the power supply was no lit. The power cord was tightly in place on both ends. When ibhitbthe power button to turn the computer on nothing happened. So I unpugged the power cord from the power supply. I waited 2 seconds, plugged itback it firmly and the green light on the power supply did not light. I hit the power button, again nothing. So I unplugged it again and waited 5 minutes. When unplugged it in this time the greelight on the back lit up. So I hit the power it started to boot for under second and then lost all power. I retried this many time and same thing happened. Finally I grabbed my old computer and figured maybe I could switch out the power supply. Unfortuately the old power supply is to large to fit into the slot on this computer. So I screwed the supply back in and plugged it in. This time it booted up. I sat there and let it be for a out 10 minutes. It stayed on. So I plugged in an SD card and was looking at some photos off my camera and about 3 minutes into that power went off and I am back to square one.
My best guess is that this is a power supply issue(but I don't know much) infighter I would post here and ask before I run out and buy a new one.
This computer is a Dell it's less that 6 months old.
The supply in it is the one it came with and it's 300 watts.
This is the first problem I have had with this computer.
Sorry for the long post I just wanted to include askuch information as I could and I had to type it all from my iPod. Well invoke someone can help and thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:32 AM

It does indeed sound like a Power supply issue, and since your old one didnt work, I would guess its a proprietary PSU, which means its custom made for the DELL case. I would suggest Taking your dell components out and putting them in your old case, but Dell is notorious for making everything in their systems like that-including the motherboard. That may not be the case here, and you may be able to find a replacement PSU.

To further help you, what is the model number on the dell, as well as the type/model number of your old computer?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Dryken

Dryken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:40 AM

My current computer which I got in may 2010 is an inspiron 570.
The psu is model DPS-300AB-24 G REV: 02

And just a couple extra notes: nothing felt warm inside so I am assuming it's not and overheating issue. I tried using 2 other power cords and had the same results.
The old computer is also a Dell. XPS 410.
Do you need the number on the service tag? Sorry I am new at this

Edited by Dryken, 18 October 2010 - 08:46 AM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

Just looked those up, the PSU really doesnt fit? in the pics they look like they should, the 570 has a full ATX PSU and the 410 has a slighlty shorter one, but should lock into a ATX one. Kinda hard to tell from the photos, in any case if this is your computer then a PSU similar to this should solve your problem.

Edited by the_patriot09, 18 October 2010 - 09:56 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Dryken

Dryken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:15 AM

I checked gain and the older power supply does not fit, however unhooked it up anyways with it sitting outside the tower and I have power. The computer I running smoothly. Minus the fact the the PSU running it is hooked up gaming out the side...
Bit for a day or two it will do until I can get a new one shipped. Think you for your help.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:21 AM

No problem, if you have any more concerns or questions feel free to come back and ask.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users