Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KIS 2011

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:55 AM

I've already tried the Kaspersky forum, but am not getting a clear answer to my questions.
I am running Windows XP Home-SP2.
I just purchased the newest KIS 2011 cd at Staples for 1 computer use.
m I supposed to be disconnected from the internet when I remove KIS 2010 from add/remove programs on my system?
The Kaspersky forum is mixed on this. They also advise me to upgrade to SP3, but I want to retain SP2. My system crashed a long time ago when I tried to upgrade to SP3.

Am I supposed to reboot after deleting KIS 2010? Should I run CC Cleaner after removing the old version?

I would hope that the installation wizard will let me know when I'm supposed to reconnect to the internet,right?

BC has always been the most helpful computer site for me+I value your opinions.

Does it really matter to stay connected to the internet to delete my old KIS program, then install the latest one?

My family members are telling me the reason my internet speed is so slow is due to running KIS. Is there a way to verify this?

Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 higuy

higuy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:17 AM

For any leftovers of previous KIS, you should use Removal tool for Kaspersky Lab products,

KAV/KIS remover

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

Thank you for the added info for total KIS removal.
I still need to know how important it is for me to not be on the internet while removing the old program+then installing the new one. I want to get this all accomplished by tomorrow evening.

I see no need to upgrade to XP3 as Windows 7 is supposed to be replacing XP. Don't know how much longer I'll be able to function using XP, but that's my comfort level for now.

Any other thoughts on staying on line to move from KIS 2010 to KIS 2011?

Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:53 PM

I do not like being connected to the internet when I do not have antivirus and firewall installed so I recommend being disconnected from the internet from the moment you start to uninstall the program until the new program is installed and running.

At the very least, I would enable the XP firewall during the uninstall/install of the program. I think this is the way I did it the last time I uninstalled and reinstalled my ZoneAlarm antivirus/firewall but I do prefer to be totally disconnected from the internet while doing it.

There is no need to be connected to the internet while installing the program and since you are without protection while doing it, you put yourself at risk. However, as long as you have a firewall enabled and are not visiting any websites, you should be ok.

As to KIS slowing your system down, the only way to know for sure is to see how it runs without the program being installed. If you want to check your internet speed without the program being installed, make sure you enable the XP firewall before connecting to the internet after uninstalling the program and only visit websites you totally trust while you are without virus protection.

I would do a speed test at a site like www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ before removing the program and then use the same test after removing the program. Remember to make sure the XP firewall is installed before connecting to the internet after removing the program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users