Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall issue after MS updates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:12 AM

Had a fairly large batch of MS updates yesterday, upon rebooting a pop up said my firewall was turned off. I have booted up a couple of times since with the same result, it is easy to turn the firewall back on but a bother other than that all else seems to be fine. I am running MSI and the windows firewall, I ran SAS & MBAM scans the machine comes up clean.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:26 AM

Another discovery!

I do not normally use IE but in reading some of the posts it was recommended to update it to IE8, I opened IE to check on the version when I clicked on options I got a pop up stating "This operation has been canceled due to restriction in effect on this computer. Contact your systems administrator. Also am getting run time error messages when I access some Administrator functions!

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 18 October 2010 - 06:29 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:04 AM

Check Event Viewer for possible clues regarding the firewall.

What Administrator functions...provoke runtime errors, please?

Louis

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

Hi when I click on "services" I get the run time error pop up Line 79, asks if I want to debug. I did run Debug this AM but it did not fix the issue. In the event viewer under "applications" there about 30 entries for "windows search gatherer event 3083" today and yesterday. Also in the event viewer "system" there are two entries, one for service control module, one for Dhcp and one for DCOM yesterday. Hope this sheds some light.

Phil

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

Those Search errors...seem to relate solely to Search 4.0, which seems to cause some problems to XP users (and is unnecessary, IMO).

I would suggest uninstalling it and leaving it off...but, if you feel you want it, then reinstall it.

As for debugging...I never have that enabled, so I can't advise on that.

SCM errors appear in Event Viewer...when any service exhibits problems. You need to look at the detail for the error to see what service may need attention. Double-click the line item in EV.

Louis

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:27 PM

Louis I have searched high and low for Search 4.0, I do not think it is on this machine. The batch of updates I got the other day had some Net Framework stuff which I don't think I need and may be part of the problem.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users