Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sleep mode causes disk read error.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Barrock

Barrock

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:25 AM

Edit: I did a computer restart and the same issue occurred. Ran disk check and it said there are 0 bad sectors.

So it seems anytime my computer goes into sleep mode I either get a desktop I can't click with the never ending load circle or a black screen with a never ending loading circle. I hard restart the computer and get a disc read error. I hit control alt delete, says resuming windows. Black screen. Restart. Says the last time I attempted to Resume Windows there was an error. So I delete the old settings and default my BIOS and Windows loads normally.

I also noticed on the boot screen it says "AMD Data Change Update New Data to DMI." I don't remember seeing that before.

Any ideas? :huh:

Edited by Barrock, 18 October 2010 - 06:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 Barrock

Barrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:24 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/qaDsqwuKOr3RjyT50heVg0k

There you go. I've noticed it isn't just sleep mode, but any time I turn the computer off. It gives me the disk read error and I have to CAD several times before it will finally boot windows. I've run diskcheck as well as system file checker. Both came up clean.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:20 AM

Please do the following: Download Data Life Guard Tools

1. Diagnostics Bootable CD: Download the Diag504fCD.zip or Diag504fCD.iso file to your desktop.
2. Extract the Diag504fCD.zip file to your desktop with a file extraction utility. (Alternately you have the option to download the iso version of the file which does not require extraction with a zip utility).
3. You will see a new file named Diag504fCD.iso on your desktop.
4. You must use a CD burning program (such as Nero Burning Rom or EZ-CD Creator) to burn a CD from the .ISO image.
5. You can now boot the computer to the diagnostics CD. Make sure your boot order in your BIOS is set to boot to the CD-ROM drive first.
6. You will see the following options:
* SELECT DRIVE - Always choose this option first, as it determines which drive you will be working on.
* QUICK TEST - This option tests your drive quickly for any major physical problems. (Please note: Although this option is safe and does not alter the data on your hard drive, Western Digital recommends that you have a current backup of your data).
* EXTENDED TEST - This option checks your drive thoroughly and it can repair any correctable errors. (Please note: Although this option is safe and does not alter the data on your hard drive, some data loss may occur, depending on the errors found and the errors corrected. Western Digital recommends that you have a current backup of your data).
* WRITE ZEROS TO DRIVE - The Write Zeros option, wipes any and all data off your drive. This option used when your data is no longer usable or recoverable. If you no longer need any data from your drive and would like to start over, run this option to set your drive to an as new condition. NOTE: Please make sure that you have selected the correct drive to perform this function on as once ran, no data will be recoverable.
* VIEW TEST RESULTS - You can see the results of the test you just performed
* PRINT TEST RESULTS - Test results can be printed with this option. USB printers are not supported
* LOG FILE OPEN/CLOSE - You can access the log file which is generated automatically
* ENTER AND PRINT RMA INFORMATION - Information pertaining to each drive tested can be customized and printed with this option.
* HELP - Brief descriptions of each option in addition to explanations of error codes are available in this option.
* QUIT - Reboot your system once you have completed the selected tasks
7. Select the task you wish to perform.

#5 Barrock

Barrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

Okay I ran the program. First I did Quick Test and it came up with zero errors. Extended Test came up with the same thing.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

Update your computer with everything from the chipset to your video card.

#7 Barrock

Barrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

Running Driver Checker it says I have 3 out of date drivers. High Definition Audio Device, Nvidia nForce Networking Card, and Nvidia nForce PCI System Management. Not sure the best way to find new drivers for those as I don't know the model numbers.

#8 Barrock

Barrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

There was a Windows 7 update that mentioned sleep mode corrupting date. I hoped that had fixed it but no luck. Still going through it. :huh:

#9 Barrock

Barrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:44 AM

I thought I had the problem fixed by installing a new video driver and deleting the Windows Keyboard/Mouse program that had installed that Windows said was interfering with Sleep Mode. Got the problem again this morning. This time after Ctrl+Alt+Deleting a few times I got the following: NVIDIA Boot Agent 249.0542
Client Mac ADDR:
DHCP (With a loading thing)

Took a while to search and then said No boot filename received. It did it again and then finally said Disk Boot Failure. Insert System Disk and Press Enter.

Seems to be getting worse. Before I could eventually get it to say Resuming Windows... and then hard restart so it would Start Windows instead. Now I'm not able to do that at all.

Edited by Barrock, 07 November 2010 - 10:25 AM.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:17 PM

Check your cables leading to the hard drive and from the motherboard.

If they are all snug, then I would recommend back up your data then get another drive.

#11 Barrock

Barrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:19 PM

Any particular model that you recommend?

What's the difference between Western Digital's Green, Black, and Blue?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:35 PM

I loathe Western Digital and Hitachi, they leave a bad taste in my mouth. I recommend Seagate drives.

#13 Barrock

Barrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

I picked up a Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. I ended up overpaying for it by about $40 because it was from Best Buy but I kinda need it now. :huh: Hope it's a good hard drive.

Do you think I need to look at some sort of cooling for the system? Or is this type of thing inevitable?

#14 Barrock

Barrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:41 PM

This computer is going to drive me insane. I go check the Ultimate Boot Disk menu and the computer did the "Resuming Windows" thing, and then a black screen where I could move the mouse cursor. On a hard restart it booted right to the desktop. Well, at least I can get some files I guess. Crazy system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users