Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 8 won't open

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WPJ

WPJ

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:21 AM

Ok,

Here is one that I have not had been able to find on any sites.
Windows 7 computer, IE 8, click on IE8 and a box comes up asking how I want to open IE8 or browse to find .exe file. The .exe is broken I am sure but have no way to either remove the IE8 to re install or fix.
.exe is broken and have no idea of how to fix in Windows 7. I have tried root directory of IE 8 but would not work, same error message. None of the IE8 links within the computer work. I am going to do a checkdisk seeing if this works but not sure.
Any help would be appreciated. I have scanned for viruses previously so that is what could of broken it but need to find a fix.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

Is it a problem will all .lnk(links/shortcuts) and .exe? - If so, its most likely a malware infection (I worked on a computer that had this problem a few months back)

Or is it a problem with just IE8? - Reinstall IE8, or try an alternate browser(Firefox, Chrome, etc.).

#3 syamrajk

syamrajk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:36 PM

Hey this might be an issue due to some missing Internet explorer files. Well I ues reinstallation of the IE8 might fix this issue. There is an option to install IE * in Win 7 also. Here is that..

GO to Control panel>Programs and features>Turn windows features on or off
There you can find the IE 8 with a check mark.
To uninstall the IE 8 go ahead and uncheck that and reboot the computer.

After reboot go back to the same location and put the check mark back and reboot again.
The IE 8 should come back fr sure..

Hope that this will help you with your issue, Post back what hapened....
:thumbsup:

#4 Bob short for Kate

Bob short for Kate

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:00 AM

We had this on 3 of our PCs. It was Adobe Acrobat Speedlauncher.

Start -> Run. Type MSCONFIG -> Enter
Click on the Startup Tab.
Find Adobe Acrobat (Reader_sl.exe) and untick it.
Click okay and reboot.

Let me know if this works for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users