Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony TV

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 13 October 2004 - 09:20 AM

I tried posting this in a Sony Forum site but have gotten nothing back. It's getting quite annoying and I'm curious if anyone here might know about TV's.
I have an xp-53XBR45 Sony Trinitron Color Rear Video Projector. I bought it over 6 years ago. Lately, it's been flickering with this ticking sound. We never lose picture or sound at all, you can kind of see horizontal lines when it flickers and makes this ticking sound from the back. What's so odd is it only happens when the picture on the screen is primarily white or light cream in color and certain light colored cartoons. I called a repairman and he said it was the tuner and I was looking at about $350 worth of repair. When I called him, the issue only occurred with the TV alone. But, the VCR was on so my little girl could watch 101 Dalmations and for the first time, it flickered a couple times when the picture was primarily white/cream. And I remember when I called the repairman, he was sure it was the tuner since (at the time) it was fine while the DVD player or the VCR was on.
Has anyone ever heard of this? Could it be a color tube?

Thanks!

~67~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:19 AM

Tuner? No.

Sounds like a high voltage breakdown to me. The CRT (cathode ray tube) in a TV uses a high voltage (typically 25,000 volts or more).

If you can see inside, you may be able to make out a small blue arc at the same time as you hear the clicking noise.

Aging can cause insulation to deteriorate and break down. But more often it is just an accumulation of dust (which is attracted to the HV components) that provides a path for the HV to jump over. This is particularaly true in a humid environment. (Are you on the coast of Texas?)

IMHO, if a shop wanted to charge you $350 to replace the tuner (a < $50 part) I'd look for a different shop.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:34 AM

ddeerrff,
Thank you very much for the information! Actually, I live in the D/FW area. In his words, he said "nobody would even touch it for less than $350".
I read in that Sony forum about that blue arc you mentioned. If we are able to remove the back, it'd be on the bottom 'floor', is that right? Dusting it up would be a good thing too, ya think? This is all safe as long as the TV is unplugged, I imagine. There's also a website I found called www.fixyourowntv.com which seems great but even if it would work for me, I'd need to know what my problem is first.
Between the computer and the TV, I've long discovered that the Sony website is worthless. I ALWAYS keep brochures and receipts though but under the Troubleshooting section, nothing even remotely resembled the issue at hand.
Thanks a million for the input. If you think of anything else that may be helpful, please pass it along. Hubby and I have been separated for over 3 years and even still, he can barely operate a toaster, let alone check out a TV!
Much thanks,
~67~

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:01 AM

Cleaning would be a good idea. I have no idea what this looks like physically, so I have no suggestions as to how to get at it to clean.

If you can see the 'picture tube' itself, there should be a largish wire connected to the side of the tube with what looks like a suction cup. This is the high voltage lead. Clean around the area where it attaches to the tube, and also follow it back and clean the dust from the area where it originates.

Use a soft brush (A small paint brush works well) to loosen the dust and a vacuum to clear it away. Some will tell you that you should use the 'blow' side and blow the dust out instead of the suction side, as there should be less static generated by the blow side. I've had no problem using the suction side.

Be sure the set is unplugged and allow it to sit unpowered for at least 30 minutes before cleaning. The HV does not disappear immediately on turn off and may take a while to fully dissipate. Even after the 30 minutes, touch the insides only with the brush and the non-metallic end of the vacuum hose.

Be aware the problem *may* be deeper than this. The picture tube itself may be breaking down (internal HV arc), the HV lead may have deteriorated, the flyback transfomer may be bad, ect. But a good cleaning is the place to start.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:23 AM

You're a doll, derf.
I'll do just as you suggest and see where that takes us.
Is there an explanation for the flickering and ticking ONLY when the screen is white/cream? I guess I'm just boggled by that. I don't know about such things so I'm very curious.
FYI - I'm sure it could use a dusting. This is an older house in an older part of town and there's a vent less than 5 ft above the TV. Problem is we can't really move it. With all this surround sound and stereo equipment and computer, etc... I can't rearrange it any other way. I wish I could!
Is there a way to better protect it? I doubt it other than moving it. It's a 53" and I know you can't cover up the back either. I guess I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. But if you highly suggest moving it to extend the life and quality, I will do that. This room shape is so funky. It'll be tricky and a lot of work but I guess that's what kids and brothers are for, eh?
Appreciate the very useful information!

~67~

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2004 - 12:51 PM

Electronics just gets dirty, there is no stopping it. Particularly, high voltage tends to collect dust - that's the way electrostatic air cleaners work.

The amount of current drawn from the high voltage supply varies depending on the 'brightness' of the video scene. A brighter picture puts more strain on the system.

When there is an electric arc, that arc generates RF (radio frequency) energy. Just as lightning produces static crashes in an AM radio, the smaller arc within the set generates an RF signal that causes the lines in the video.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#7 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2004 - 01:08 PM

WOW! I've learned so much and it even makes sense to me! I can't possibly thank you enough Derf and as soon as the work is done, I'll post an update...probably this weekend. I'll let ya know what we discover.

~67~

#8 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2004 - 03:16 AM

derf,
Update:
We followed your directions exactly and cleaned out the TV. Yuck! It was awful! We even cleaned the lenses. We are amazed, impressed, and thrilled at the results! The difference is so incredible, I can't even tell ya. But anyway, the dusting worked. The ticking and flickering stopped. And best of all, it didn't cost a single dime! It's like having the TV brand new all over againl. We can't take our eyes off it now, lol.
I cannot possibly thank you enough. With your knowledge, perhaps you should hang out in that Sony fan website and tell those people a thing or two. They could use the guidance, lol.
Okay, I'll stop bowing to ya and let you get back to work. We truly are eternally grateful.
~67~

#9 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2004 - 10:22 AM

Glad it took care of the problem.
Derfram
~~~~~~