Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update & MS Security Essentials Update timeouts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xweendogx

xweendogx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:25 PM

Hello, everyone!

So a little background first...

My dad's PC was loading up Windows (black screen), so I pop out the hard drive and do an error check and virus scan on my computer. Everything turned out OK, put the hard drive back in and Windows starts up.

Now, however, even though the internet connection is fine, I'm getting timeouts when trying to go to Windows Update or when updating Security Essentials. Strangely enough, I tried installing other anti-virus programs and experienced connection issues.

I also ran the drive through Malware Bytes and came up clean, so I'm not really sure where to go from here. My dad has some older software that he'd like to keep but doesn't have the original disks to reinstall, so a format would be a last resort.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:19 AM

Are you saying that you cannot connect to Windows Update?

If not....what is the exact error message?

<<My dad's PC was loading up Windows (black screen)...>>

Are you saying that it would not boot completely...and that it halted at a black screen with blinking cursor in upper left hand corner?

What happens if you try to connect to www.microsoft.com?

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

Your issues are possible signs of a malware infection of some kind.

#4 xweendogx

xweendogx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:43 AM

Are you saying that you cannot connect to Windows Update?

If not....what is the exact error message?

<<My dad's PC was loading up Windows (black screen)...>>

Are you saying that it would not boot completely...and that it halted at a black screen with blinking cursor in upper left hand corner?

What happens if you try to connect to www.microsoft.com?

Louis

Yes, I cannot connect to Windows Update. The connection times out (or in IE's case, it says it cannot display the webpage). Other websites, including microsoft.com seem to work fine.

On start up, it was just a straight up black screen. No cursor, no nothing.

Your issues are possible signs of a malware infection of some kind.

Security Essentials and MalwareBytes came up clean, but I also have this suspicion.

Thanks for the input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users