Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pressure on the CPU's heat sink required to boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 UndeadGeek

UndeadGeek

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:03 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 4700, that won't even get to the POST unless I quite literally lean on the CPU's Heat sink. If I just power it on without leaning on the heat sink the CPU's fan immediately spins up really fast (more so than usual) and the power light on the front panel turns orange.

However if I lean on the heat sink everything is perfect...until I stop applying that pressure then it just freezes up wherever it is.

Before this started i had just replaced the old pentium 4 processor with a new one I have replaced the thermal grease and everything.

My computer's hardware is: an intel Pentium 4 Model #:520 at 2.8GHZ
An ATI radeon x300 video card
2.5 GB ram
400W PSU
Everything else is the standard Dell parts

I have tried re-seating the processor multiple times, I can't think of anything else to try.

So, any ideas on what may be causing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

Sounds like the heatsink isn't making contact with the CPU die, which means the method that the heatsink is using to hold it down is broken or not attached right, either a broken or not properly seated clip (if its the clipping kind) or a stripped screw. I would check that to make sure that nothing is broke, perhaps order a new heatsink.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users