Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LONG story - Vista Ultimate crash - fresh image backed up but now on Vista home so I can't restore it >>>

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scotttt

Scotttt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:14 PM

I was planning to do several driver upgrades on Thursday including Bios. So I used the vista Complete PC Backup - and Imaged drive C to a portable HD.

Everything went fine ....

Laptop is a toshiba satellite 32 bit running Ultimate.

Sure enough it crashed on one of the reboots - 5 chkdsks later I gave up and put in the DVD recovery disks I got from Future shop when I purchased it in OCT 2007.

Well - it installed Vista HOME (although it came with Ultimate - I do not have windows disks). Vista home apparently only does traditional back-ups and restores.

I want to take it back to Thursday. Is there anything I can do to restore the VHD image on my system .....

Pulling my hair out here ...

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

The question comes to my mind...how did the O/S change? What was the method of install?

Louis

#3 Scotttt

Scotttt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

When it crashed I inserted the Toshiba Recovery disc I got with the computer. Home is what ended up on my system today.

I think I read somewhere on another site I could have actually backed up ultimate by making a boot disc with it ..... but I didn't.

I "Assumed" Ultimate was on the Future shop discs I got with the computer (Future shop/Toshiba discs). I was Wrong.

#4 Scotttt

Scotttt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:53 PM

I need to install this image >>>> Backup 2010-10-14 102100 - that is located >>>> I:\WindowsImageBackup\Owner-PC >>>>62.9 GB (67,551,815,642 bytes)

All my files are on D: but it will be a major pita to put all the aps back on .... :huh:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:12 PM

Only reason I asked...I cannot understand how you received disks for O/S1, when you have O/S2 installed today.

Wonder which one your license matches....you might want to to find out.

Louis

#6 Scotttt

Scotttt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:01 AM

I understand, there was no reason for me to check the dvd's when I purchased the system. They are clearly marked as Toshiba/Future shop Recovery disks ........ "This DVD is used to Re-install Microsoft Windows and any other Drivers and Applications that came with this computer". But low and behold the dvd's had home on them. I am going to call the Geek-Squad today at FS and see what they say.

I'll report back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users