Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ndetect

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RLL

RLL

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 18 November 2005 - 09:51 PM

Please help! I had Win 98 on my laptop on the C drive, I installed Win 2000 on another drive, the D: drive, which is added memory, when I would start my computer up it would give me the option which operating system I wanted to use, now it won't let me access the D: drive at all and when I look for it in Win 98 it is gone, like it never existed. Also when I am bringing up the computer it will not let me signe on to Win 2000, it gives me the NDETECT not found error. I have really messed up something, please help!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 02:47 AM

:thumbsup: to BC RLL,
What make and model of laptop is this? How did you add a hard drive, is it internal or did you partition the existing drive or something else?
:flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 RLL

RLL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 05:43 PM

:thumbsup: to BC RLL,
What make and model of laptop is this? How did you add a hard drive, is it internal or did you partition the existing drive or something else?
:flowers:

The laptop is a Compaq Presario 1692, the memory was added internally before I got it. It is a hand me down and has been a really good laptop, hope I can fix this issue, thanks

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 07:36 PM

Please use the Add Reply not the "Reply button, unless you need to quote a specific post.

the memory was added internally before I got it

Sorry I'm still confused - memory is RAM as in megabytes of working space for the programs to execute in.
Drives are physical storage space which show up with letters allocated to each different partition, under My Computer. For a dual boot machine you must either have had 2 drives or 2 partitions.

According to your specs here you have a 6GB hard drive. What size harddrive shows for C: under 'My Computer'? (right-click on the C: drive and select properties.)

I'm trying to work out if this second operating system lived on a plug-in drive or if it was a partition of the internal drive. You installed the Win 2000, how did you locate or create this D: drive? What options did you choose?

This sounds like you need to restore the MBR but I'm not experienced enough with dual boot systems to advise you properly. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 RLL

RLL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:38 PM

C: has 4.59 GB on it. There used to show a D drive and after I loaded the Win 2000 and would boot the computer it would give me option to choose which operating system I wanted to use to open it, but since I messed something up when I choose Win 2000 I just get that error and D: is gone. When the person before me bought this computer he had them add the memory to it. I just assumed that is what it was. I am not a computer guru, and realized I have gotten myself in a mess. Thanks for your help!

Please use the Add Reply not the "Reply button, unless you need to quote a specific post.

the memory was added internally before I got it

Sorry I'm still confused - memory is RAM as in megabytes of working space for the programs to execute in.
Drives are physical storage space which show up with letters allocated to each different partition, under My Computer. For a dual boot machine you must either have had 2 drives or 2 partitions.

According to your specs here you have a 6GB hard drive. What size harddrive shows for C: under 'My Computer'? (right-click on the C: drive and select properties.)

I'm trying to work out if this second operating system lived on a plug-in drive or if it was a partition of the internal drive. You installed the Win 2000, how did you locate or create this D: drive? What options did you choose?

This sounds like you need to restore the MBR but I'm not experienced enough with dual boot systems to advise you properly. :thumbsup:

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:50 PM

How many MB of RAM do you have?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 RLL

RLL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:45 PM

It has 192 MG of RAM, 32 bit of memory and 32 bit of PC Card.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 01:57 AM

Do you have an uptodate anti-virus program and/or internet access available when you boot to Win98?

I think you need to restore the Master Boot Record, but you must be sure it has not been corrupted due to virus activity otherwise the repair may fail.

There is an explanation of recovery console usage here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q229716/
Please read it before you begin.

This is what you should do -
  • Boot in Win98 and go online to update your anti-virus program or to download AVG Free from AVG Free.
  • Reboot in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan there.
  • If the scan is clean continue, if not post back.
  • Enter the BIOS by pressing the 'Del' key when booting. Check you boot from CDROM first.
  • Put the Windows 2000 CD in the drive and reboot.
  • Select 'F10' or 'R' to enter Recovery Console
  • type Fixmbr and enter 'Y' to the warning about non standard MBR.
  • Type Fixboot and when finished Exit.
  • Reboot and post back the result.
hth :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users