Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google redirect / Fake Microsoft Security Essentials problems

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 M!c

M!c

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:55 PM

Hi,

Iíve been having a few problems with my computer recently, and Iíve been directed here for advice. However, thereís so much (useful) information that I just donít know where to start! I hope that this is the right place to post this message, and I hope that it makes sense.

A week ago, I came down with what I think was a fake Microsoft Security Essentials problem. I was using both Internet Explorer and uTorrent at the time. Basically, a window popped up telling me that a Trojan had been directed in a file, DivXUpdate.exe, I think. If I tried to close this, another window popped up immediately naming a different file, and this kept happening. Internet Explorer, uTorrent and Outlook all closed themselves, and I was unable to open any other programs or Task Manager. All I could do was restart my computer through the Ctrl-Alt-Del dialogue, and when I relogged-on, the Microsoft Security Essentials window appeared again immediately.

Anyway, I think I managed to get rid of this using a combination of Spybot-S&D, Ad-Aware and AVG in Safe Mode and through a different administrative account on my computer. However, after doing that, I discovered that I had a ĎGoogle redirect virusí. When I perform a search on Google, sometimes the links go to the right place, but sometimes Iím redirected to other sites, sometimes Internet Explorer fails and sometimes another (empty) window opens up.

In addition, opening Task Manager revealed a number of possibly bizarre processes. Iím afraid Iím no expert, but there were three instances of iexpore.exe, nine times svchost.exe, eight .exes starting with ďavgĒ, teatimer.exe and teatimer .exe [note the space].

At this point, I downloaded Malwarebytesí Anti-Malware, SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition and TDSSKiller, all of which found problems, but Iím still getting the Google redirects.

So, after all that typing, Iím still left with two basic questions: Whatís wrong with my machine? And what should I do about it?

Sorry to be so vague, and to not provide much in Ďevidenceí in this post. I wasnít sure what would be useful. Iím using Windows XP with SP3. If you would like some kind of log from any of those programs, or if thereís anything I should download to produce a log, I can do that.

Thanks in advance,
M!c.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users