Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 thn. Groen

thn. Groen

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:04 PM

Hello to all forum members.

First Forgive me my bad english, it is not my native language.

I have encountered a problem with some stuburn mallware : The Security Suite pain in the a..... It survived all my attemps to remove it so I decided to remove The Windows XP installation to get rid off it.

The PC is a dual boot PC, with Windows Vista as the second OS. Since Windows XP was installed on the boot volume I do not want to just format it. So far, Using Windows Vista, I was able to remove most of the Windows XP installation, but there are some folders that seem to be stuck on the volume, I cannot remove them.

What have I tried to remove them: Off course the "Take Ownership" trick and then granted myself Full Control to a folder (and did not forget to check the checbox to replicate the permission to all subfolders and child objects) With this methode I was able to remove most of the XP stuff.

With the problem folders it keeps telling me that it is not able to display the security properties. So I cannot grand myself full controll. When trying to delete them, it says that the folders do not exist. I have tried it form within the explorer and from within the commandline (run as administrator) I have used the dir /x command to find out the DOS names of the folder and tried to delete that, but that didn't work either. I have tried to remove them while in Save modus, but that didn't help either. I have tried the FILEASSASIN from MalwareBytes, but it seems that it does not work for folders. I wanted to use the UNLOCKER, But when trying to download, ad-ware says that te site is not a save site, So I terminated that one

I think that there is only one way to get rid of the problems folder, and that is format the boot volume.

My Question is: After formatting the boot volume, wil I be able to make the PC bootable again to Windows Vista using the Windows Vista Installation DVD by selecting the boot repair option?

Is there any other way to get rid of the stuburn folders?

Best regards,

Thn.groen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

If you reformat the Windows XP Partition you will have to reinstall it if you want then try and repair the boot record with Windows Vista installation disk.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:30 PM

The boot volume varies with whatever O/S you boot into.

Since you have a dual-boot, you have two boot volumes.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314470

But...the key thing to remember is that the Vista boot files have taken over. Right now, the XP boot.ini file is meaningless...the system boots into either O/S by virtue of the Vista bootfiles on each system partition (XP and Vista)..

If the XP O/S is the only one with infection...and you intend to install it again...seems to me that it can be deleted.

Then it gets tricky :huh:.

If each O/S is on a separate hard drive...I would just detach/disconnect the Vista drive, then clean install XP.

If the two system partitions are on the same hard drive...it's more difficult because you then would be trying to install XP after Vista, which is not the suggested order (but can be done, they say).

So my question is...is each O/S on a separate hard drive or are they on a singular hard drive?

The second question I wanted to ask...what makes you think that the Vista install is not infected?

Louis

#4 thn. Groen

thn. Groen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:07 PM

@Cryptodan:

That is where my problems start: I cant find my Windows XP installation CD and the licence key.

@ Hamluis:

Your last question first: I have scanned the Windows Vista installation with MalwareBytes in Save modus: No problems found. I have scanned with Ad-Aware: No serious problems found (only some cookies). Have scanned with Avast: no problems found. I see no suspicious activity on my modem/router, I have checked all processes in Taskmanager, by looking them up on the internet: also no problems.

If above is not good enough I do not know what I can do more. I'm aware that there is always a posiblity that a very clever Virus is capable of hiding from virus and/or Malware scanners. But I also think that it is impossible to have your PC perfectly protected (exept for never use it or switch it on :huh: )

The first part of your reply: Yep, Both Vista and XP were on volumes on the same disk. I have tried to remove XP, which succeeded mostly, but I have some folders, parts of the "my documents" chain, that seem imposible to delete. (but are eating up 8GB of space)
If not nececary, I do not want to reinstall XP, Vista works Fine for me. I also can not reinstall vista because I have lost the license key and the instalation media (were in the same pouch as my XP installationkit)

So if there is a way to free up the Boot volume, other than formatting, that would be nice, because it saves me from Buying a new OS and all programs I have installed.

The other option is leave it as it is, it works under Vista OS. But I consider this as a waste of Valuable disk space

Best regards,

thn.Groen

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:36 PM

If you don't want XP...then you can just boot into Vista...and use Easy BCD to delete XP from your boot files.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

To delete the XP volume...that can be done from Vista's Disk Management.

Volume gone, XP removed from boot...should be good to go.

You can then use a partition manager to resize the Vista partition, if you want to recover the space which was formerly taken up by the XP partition.

Louis

Almost forgot...to access/move your folders from the XP volume to the Vista volume...you have to take ownership of the files.

http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/how-to-take-ownership-and-full-control-permissions-of-files-and-folders-in-vista/

Edited by hamluis, 20 October 2010 - 12:37 PM.

#6 thn. Groen

thn. Groen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:46 AM

@ Hamluis,

I already had removed the XP Boot entry from the bootfiles from within Windows Vista. So thats no longer a problem. It now boots directly into Windows Vista.

Deleting the XP partition is not posible, Windows Vista says that it cannot remove an Active partion.
My Guess was, using disk management, to make the volume that windows Vista resides on, the Active partition
But after rebooting the computer tells me that there was no bootmanager, effectifly Locking me out of the computer. I used a Windows Vista enterprise installation DVD, in an attempt to repair the bootsector, But that options didn't find a Windows Vista installation to repair. I continued, it says that it had repaired a few thingies but rebooting still gives me the "no Bootmanager" story.

I have rebooted the computer with a bootable Partition Magic CD. With this I made the first volume on the disk the Active volume again. Now my computer at least boots into Windows Vista. But I am back to square one. :huh: Having Folders on the Boot Volume that seem impossible to remove. When trying to remove the folder, it says that the folder is no longer there :huh:.

Anyboy any ideas How to remove this folders?

Best regards,

Thn. Groen

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

If you have a partition that you cannot delete...I'd say that you have hard drive problems.

An active partition can be deleted...as long as it's not booted into. I have 3 hard drives on this system, with two of them reflecting active partitions (I dual-boot). Either can be deleted from the other partition, using Disk Management or any other partition utility (e.g., EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition freeware. - http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm).

FWIW: Partition Magic 8.0 can delete active partitions...but PM 8.0 is not compatible with Vista/Win 7, only installs on Win 9x, 2K and XP systems.

Louis

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:05 AM

In a dual boot scenario, usually the newer OS just alters the older OS's boot files, but leaves them in the same location, since that partition was the active system one.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 thn. Groen

thn. Groen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:53 AM

@ Hamluis,

It is not the partition I want to delete, it is the folders on that partition that I want to get rid off. These folders eat up about 7GB off valueable diskspace.

@ DaChew

That is exactly what is going on. It was a dual boot configuration and the boot files for Windows Vista are on the boot volume. It also this volume that Windows XP was on. Most of Windows XP is deleted now, freeing up most of the boot volumes disk space.

My problem is that there are some folders on the boot volume that seem impossible to delete.

Best regards

Thn. Groen

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:55 AM

Would you show hidden files and post a screenshot please?
Chewy

#11 thn. Groen

thn. Groen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

@ DaChew,

As requested the screenshots of the problem Folders (in dutch, will try to translate)

The file Directory 1.jpg shows the problem folders.
Everything under "Rommel_XP" seem impossible to delete

Cause may be the folder, marked with the red arrow.
When trying to edit the security options it presents me with the warning showed in the File Directory 2.jpg
translated in englisch it states: The requested security data is not available or cannot be displayed.

Hope that this helps you to help me.

Regards,

Thn. Groen

Attached Files

Edited by thn. Groen, 25 October 2010 - 11:51 AM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:44 PM

I'm not being a smartass...but deleting the volume/partiton...removes everything in it.

If you then want to create a storage partition...it's done easily.

The partition structure may be damaged...the hard drive may have bad sectors...that prevent files from being successfully deleted. Deleting the partition overcomes that possibility.

Louis

#13 thn. Groen

thn. Groen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

@ Hamluis,

I can't delete the volume/partition, It is the active Boot volume. If I delete this volume/partition, then My Pc doesn't boot anymore.

If it was that simple, I allready would have done that.

I have allready checked for Bad Sectors, using GWScan, which is faster, and after that the Acronis tool, which is slower but more thourough: No problems found
I have checked the file structure and partition table of the volume with the Windows Vista built in harddisk checker (which ran directly after a reboot, before Windows Vista started): No problems found.

Thn. Groen

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

I was hoping for a screenshot like this showing all files

Attached File  untitled.PNG   34.09KB   2 downloads
Chewy

#15 thn. Groen

thn. Groen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

@ DaChew:

Can't show files, there are none visible in any directory under Rommel_XP.

Allready tried the dos cmd attrib -h *.* (in elevated dosprompt mode): it says that it can't find any files.

There might be files in de Audio player folder, but I can't see them nor can i make them visible.

Thn. Groen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users