Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2010 - What Firewall have you got ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John Bull

John Bull

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:10 AM

I have searched the Forum for user selected Firewalls and got nothing, so here goes.

I have used Comodo FW individually or incorporated in CIS for years. It has been 100% perfect and in my opinion is probably the best Firewall on the Internet.

I always use FREE editions. Not mean, money is no problem but my experience is that FREE versions are just as good as paid versions.

Comodo Firewall :-
Operation = perfect. No pop-ups and a magnificent protection.
Defense+ = A proverbial pest and pain in the butt, with a barrage of pop-ups. Unless the user knows exactly what the pop-up means then it is a matter of saying YES to everything. I have often disabled Defense+ so that these infernal pop-ups are killed off.

Comodo on my PC takes an age to load, always last and I can feel my hair growing longer by the minute.

Current :-
Uninstalled Comodo FW and installed Online Armor. This is a superb FW with a wide variety of user controls, extremely efficient and the animated tray icon is really great for seeing what traffic is present.

OA loads quickly without any problems, no pop-ups, just a program that is so versatile and efficient that it gives enormous confidence to any user.
The control panel is efficient and versatile for user control, very comprehensive. I love the animated tray icon that shows traffic.

Emsisoft is a provider that you cannot surpass in the entire software Internet services availability for efficiency and high level protection.
I am so over-joyed at OA that I wonder why I never installed it years ago.
The portrayal of events is magnificent, cannot believe my luck in finding such a wonderful program.

Windows 2002 XP Home, SP3
Firefox 3.6.8, AVG Free 9.0, Sandboxie Free 3.48
Online Armor 4.5 Free, SpywareBlaster 4.3 Free
NoScript, Adblock Plus, KeyScrambler 2.6.0.0, WOT

Edited by John Bull, 17 October 2010 - 08:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

There is something very strange about your Comodo CIS installation, as normally it loads very fast.

If you use the whole of CIS you get very few Defense+ pop-ups now with CIS 2011, as unknown applications are automatically restricted.
James

#3 Jkc73

Jkc73

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:43 PM

Hey all, :flowers:

I found myself agreeing with John Bull as I was reading through the post, until I got to the slow loading part.

I have to agree with JamesFrance...my Comodo Firewall has no problem loading with its counterparts, my anti-virus program Avast, and WinPatrol.

I do run a very light start-up, though not as lite as some.

Services on start-up are also lite to medium.(Following BlackViper's Web Site)

IMHO Comodo Firewall has been the front runner for some time. :thumbsup:

Jkc73 :trumpet:

Posted Image

"To go forward, you must backup."

"Clarity of Vision, is the Newbie Key to Success"
~Jkc73

"Some things Man was never meant to know." For everything else, there's Google

Posted Image

How to Prevent Malware by Miekiemoes - Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users