Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dead motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vetmilcop

vetmilcop

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:19 AM

This will be the second time I asked for help on your forums. The first time I had a trojan problem that was quickly helped by a dose of SaS. I am still using that software.

This time I was playing a game when my PC just flat dies, no indications of any problem. When I tried to reboot, the only thing that ran was a case fan NOT plugged into the mobo. I tried using another PSU and got the CPU fan to run for a second, then nothing. Nothing else ran, except the fan NOT plugged into the mobo. I thought it must be the PSU, so I swapped everything into a new HAF 932 case I had waiting along with a new 850 watt PSU from Coolermax. I got everything hooked up, hit the power switch and nada. I checked the power switch for continuity and it works fine.

I am thinking now I have a bad mobo. I hope it didn't take out my CPU also.

My specs (as far as I can remember):

Proc- AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+ Black Edition
Mobo- Gigabyte GA-M57-SLI4
RAM-3 GB Corsair pc6400 twin
vid- EVGA 275/240 physics (I think that's right-new card to me)
PSU-Coolermax 850 modular
case- CoolerMaster HAF 932

Would appreciate any and all replies.

vetmilcop

Edited by vetmilcop, 17 October 2010 - 06:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

Hi, you seem pretty handy with a gun so not sure if i can actually add anything ,first thing to mind is video card or ram stopping it ,I see your board doesn't have onboard video so you cant try removing the pci-e card to try usinf the onboard that ,but you could try removing the video card and just turning it on ad see if cpu fan stays spinning ,if no, remove ram and try ,might be the board just died ,
good luck ,

Edited by caperjac, 17 October 2010 - 08:45 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 vetmilcop

vetmilcop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the reply. I get nothing at all with the new PSU, so I don't know what good removing the vid card would do. I could try shorting out then PSU to see if that would work, but I am hampered by not having a second PC I can use for reference work. I can only check out this site while at work so I wiil check back tonight.

Thanks again, and yes I do fairly well with a gun. I lettered in rifle shooting. :thumbsup:

vetmilcop

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:45 AM

You can try putting in a second video card to double check, but it sounds like a motherboard issue to me. Gigabyte makes excellent boards, but everything fails eventually. I would try to find a way to test the video card and the ram to be sure before dumping money on a new board, either by using a friends computer or perhaps a work computer if your boss will let you. I wouldnt worry to much about the CPU, if the board dies, the CPU is most likely just fine, next to the case theyre typically the longest lasting part on your computer.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 vetmilcop

vetmilcop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:14 AM

Would RAM just up and fail? I have been using these sticks for well over a year with no problem, other than the fact I'm using XP becasue I can't afford to get Win7 yet. I thought if RAM was bad it was bad from the get go, not over a year later.

I appreciate the reply, Patriot. I like your handle, are you a vet?

vetmilcop

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:27 AM

Ive had RAM up and fail before, it can and does happen, however, with bad ram your system would turn on (all your fans and such) but have no display, and if you have a system speaker, it will make error beeps (they vary depending on motherboard) If you dont have a system speaker its feasible but unlike if your CPU fan and system fan dont start up, but you can double check that by removing one of the sticks, and trying to boot up off of just one of them, and vary them. Ive never seen more then one stick go bad, unless it was due to something else like a PSU frying and shorting out everything else in the computer (which is rare)

Ps no Im not a vet, this was my gamer tag from high school-at the time I wanted to join the military, but never got around to it, but I did keep the tag, and started using it in more then just my games.

Edited by the_patriot09, 18 October 2010 - 08:28 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 vetmilcop

vetmilcop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:54 AM

Well, the more I read in these forums, the more I am leaning towards the mobo also. I appreciate your help and the fact you wanted to join the military. I am a Viet Nam vet with 8 years of service as a military policeman.

There are one or two more things to try before I go for the gusto with a new mobo.

vetmilcop

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

Try taking the memory completely out & see if you get constant beep codes then.
If no beep codes I would suspect the mobo as well
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 vetmilcop

vetmilcop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:00 AM

Thanks for your help, Eyesee, that gives me one more thing to try.

vetmilcop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users