Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:34 AM

I was recently handed a laptop to attempt to fix from a friend which is a Toshiba Satellite A215S4697 running Windows Vista. When it is powered on it fails to boot displaying a black screen repeating an error until powered off. As soon as the power is turned on the optical drive makes a buzzing noise about 3 times followed by the black screen displaying the error message as follows:

"For Realtek RTL8100E/8101E Fast Ethernet Network Adapter v.1.02 (060529)
PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable
PXE-M0F Exiting PXE ROM"

While displaying this Black Screen Error message, the prior buzzing noise from the optical drive is replaced by a repeated clicking sound from what I believe is the Hard drive, it sounds like it is continuously attempting to mount and boot without success.

Any Suggestions on how I can diagnose this issue, I am aware it is some sort of Hardware Issue involving the Ethernet Card though I am unsure of how to begin troubleshooting. As far as I know, there hasn't been any new recent installs that could cause registry or other software corruption. Thanks in Advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

first try going into the bios setup and disabling the boot from lan if it need be

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

When a system attempts a network boot...and user has not changed the BIOS settings to effect such...it's often a sign that the CMOS battery needs to be replaced.

A weak battery may affect any number of hardware settings.

Louis

#4 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the Quick responses. I Just went into the BIOS and disabled the boot from LAN option as you said though, when I was looking through the options I noticed the BIOS isn't recognizing a Hard drive to boot from and only has the optical drive, LAN, and FDD for bootable devices. Would this be a sign of a bad CMOS battery as you mentioned or does it sound more like a hard drive issue?

Note: It is still displaying the black screen with the same Error

Edited by SmokeViper07, 17 October 2010 - 02:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users