Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTLDR Missing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 amarie13

amarie13

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:09 AM

Hello,

i am hoping to find some insight on an issue with my Compaq Presario V5000 running on Windows XP. i tried to restore original settings with restore disk which will run for awhile but always ends up with message: "Error! Cannot copy file X:\RELOAD\BASE_03 INP from disk. Please eject disc and clean and try again. ABORT RETRY IGNORE"

when several attempts to clean disk didn't work, i tried restoring using the F11 key.
when i do this, i get the error message "cannot open x:\PRELOAD\Windows.w32"
after i click okay and it attempts to start, i get a black screen saying "NTLDR is missing" "press ctrl+alt+del to restart" - but restarting just goes to the same screen.

based on searching re: this problem, i hit F10 upon restart and ran the Hard Disk Self Test, the results of which appeared as: (Quick) Pass, (Comprehensive) Pass and (S.M.A.R.T.) Pass - which i'm assuming is good. i'm not that knowledgeable about how to interpret all this, and am still unsure what to do even after reading some earlier, similar threads. I would be grateful for suggestions or thoughts anyone might have about other steps i can take to investigate this problem.

Thank you!

p.s. i should add that i recently replaced/upgraded my RAM in case related

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:14 AM

How to Test your RAM

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to check whether your system's RAM (Ramdom Access Memory) is working properly. Bad RAM can lead to a whole host of problems, often which do not appear to have a single cause -- appearing as systemwide glitches, blue screens, and other system trouble. MemTest86+ provides a very good detection mechanism for failed RAM, and is about as good a test you get short of actually replacing the module itself.

Tools Needed
Please perform these steps from a separate, working, machine.Perform these steps on the problem machine.
  • Put your CD in the drive and configure your machine to boot to the CD. This is different on all machines, but it's usually by pressing F12 or F10 as your system boots, and selecting either "CDROM" or your cdrom drive. If you are unable to force a CDRom boot, reply with the make and model of your machine and I should be able to get you exact instructions.
  • If you've done it correctly, MemTest86+ will start to run automaticly, as shown below:
    Posted Image
  • If you want to be reasonably your RAM is OK, then allow MemTest to run until you see this message:
    Posted Image

On the other hand, if you want to be completely sure your RAM is OK, allow MemTest to run overnight. Memtest will run forever until power is pulled on the machine.
  • Check the MemTest screen for any reported errors. Errors will appear as RED warnings at the bottom of the screen, similar to the following screenshot:
    Posted Image
  • Hard-Reset the machine, removing the MemTest disk in the process.
If you didn't get an error screen, Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Compliments of Billy O'Neal.

#3 amarie13

amarie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:59 PM

Hi Cryptodan,

thank you for the response & the helpful suggestion.
unfortunately the only computer i have with a disk drive is the one with the problem.
i'll hopefully find someone willing to let me borrow their comp. for this purpose --
but, in the meantime, i was wondering if it would be of any value for me to reinstall the old/original RAM and try restoring with that? (would this be able to pinpoint whether the new RAM is the problem?)

many thanks!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

You can try doing that, and see if it fixes it.

#5 amarie13

amarie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:36 PM

wow- thanks for such a quick response.

i reinstalled old RAM and still getting same error messages -- Do you believe this would indicate that it isn't a problem with the RAM, or should i still hold out for running the test you originally posted?

thanks again for your guidance.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

That to me indicates a hard drive issue.

Do you know the model number of the hard drive?

#7 amarie13

amarie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:20 PM

i don't know that number - is that listed on the sticker on the bottom?

also - the Hard Disk Self Test i mentioned running - i take it this does not necessarily mean Hard Drive is okay?
(sorry for all the questions, but am trying to learn all this along the way!)

[p.s. wanted to add that, just for the sake of it, started comp to try restore one more time -- i noticed on initial screen, option to press ESC to take to boot options -- i'd read something about this & wanting to assure that comp is trying to run restore disk from proper location -- so i pressed ESC, highlighted CD Drive from list and pressed Enter - Comp is now again at screen showing increasing % of restore, but seems that it's made it further than anytime previous before getting error message. I'm skeptical it'll go all the way through this time, but am keeping my fingers crossed! i will report back with outcome)

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

You can get the model number of the hard drive by going to Device Manager and clicking Disk Drives. The detail under that heading is the model.

Louis

#9 amarie13

amarie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

Louis,

thanks for the suggestion, but at the time i was unfortunately unable to get my computer to start properly.

#10 amarie13

amarie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:00 PM

Cryptodan,

although i don't exactly understand why - this worked to go all the way through and restore my computer this time - yay!
i greatly appreciate your offering your expertise & guidance along the way.

any thoughts on whether this then indicates that it wasn't the RAM and that it'd be okay to re-install the new RAM once again?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

Maybe the RAM was loose in the slot, and when you reinstalled the ram there was a much better connection.

Happy Bleepin Computin

#12 amarie13

amarie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:57 PM

you've been of great help - thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users