Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor goes black

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Amylogamy

Amylogamy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:57 PM

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 2400. Windows XP Home pak3. I have Gig of ram, which is the maximum this computer allows me to have. I use mainly Firefox for a browser. The computer and monitor are six years old.

Lately my monitor goes black when the computer is loading. I have to turn the monitor on and off manually a few times before it finally stays on. During all of this the computer is loading normally. The power button on the monitor stays green but the screen turns black. It looks like as the screens is turning brighter the screen turns off because there is not enough power. I do this about six times until it finally stays on. Then I can be working in the computer for hours and have my Norton doing a scan in the background while I am working without a hitch.

If I am just doing a scan and leave the computer alone for a while, the monitor goes black with the on/off button on orange. Sometimes it goes in Safe Screen mode with the Windows Logo for a while. But once it goes black I have to do the turning on and off of the monitor for another five or six times before it stays on again. It is very frustrating and time consuming.

I have read about suggestions of the video card going bad. If the video card was going bad, which by the way is an integrated video card, won't the computer be acting up all the time?

I upped the amount of virtual memory which was very low and it seemed to help for a couple of days but now it is doing it again.

If it is the monitor itself going bad, would it act like this before is ready to go out completely?

I have only this computer so I have no real way to change monitors to see if the same things happens. I can take the monitor to work and see if it does the same in my work computer but it a pain to have to do this.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Amy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:42 AM

I just noticed that you have a topic open in the Am I Infected forum and have had a response. I would go back to that topic and see if this is related to the problems that you posted there.

As for the monitor, it would be worth taking it to work to be able to ascertain whether this is one of your problems.

Edited by dc3, 17 October 2010 - 12:53 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Amylogamy

Amylogamy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:47 AM

Hi,
I did not know that I had a response to my previous posting. I guess I did not turned on the notification feature in my controls and e-mail. I just fixed it. I would not be able to do the scans until tomorrow to see if something else is lurking in my computer. It is almost midnight right now. As for the other problems they seemed to have disappeared. Except for the monitor.
Amy

Edited by hamluis, 17 October 2010 - 01:54 PM.
Deleted dup content ~ Hamluis.

#4 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:20 AM

I would suggest taking the monitor to work and testing it out. If it works when you plug it in then your video card is probably shot. If it still doesn't fire up then there's probably something wrong with your monitor.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#5 Amylogamy

Amylogamy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:32 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help. My monitor mystery has been solved. I did a self test by unplugging it from the computer and turning it on to the self test. Did not pass. Then I remembered that I could plug the computer to my HD TV. The computer worked perfectly and the screen did not turn off. so I guess I have to buy a new monitor. Better than having to buy a new computer.

Thanks again,

Amy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users