Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I use IMAP or POP server?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gr8fandini

gr8fandini

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

I have office 2003 which has outlook 2003. I've read in some of the Google info packs that using IMAP can be better than using POP. Can somebody tell why IMAP is supposed to be better and if it will work on outlook 2003 with out a bunch of glitches. I'm also running other devices which access gmail, will that complicate things?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MidwestTech

MidwestTech

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:03 PM

Hi,

The way I remember it, the noticeable difference from the end user perspective is in how the messages are handled on the server. With a POP3 client, your email messages are copied to your client but also remain on the server. With an IMAP client, your email messages are moved to your client and thusly removed from the server.

Thanks,
Todd

#3 gr8fandini

gr8fandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:29 PM

hummmm, don't want to remove them from the server until I receive a copy on all my recieving units. Right now I seem to getting 2 or 3 copies of each email on my wife's Mac and just one copy on the other devices I'm running. I'm using pop now.

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

Hi,

The way I remember it, the noticeable difference from the end user perspective is in how the messages are handled on the server. With a POP3 client, your email messages are copied to your client but also remain on the server. With an IMAP client, your email messages are moved to your client and thusly removed from the server.

Thanks,
Todd

Incorrect.

POP3 either downloads them and deletes them from the server or downloads them and leaves a copy on the server.

IMAP directly accesses the inbox/folders on the server.

#5 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

I have my gmail set up using IMAP in Outlook 2003. In fact, it's the second account that is set up in my Outlook program, one being a POP account, and the other being the gmail account.

All mail in IMAP is left on the server, including sent mail -- I'm just viewing them through my email client (Outlook). Google has some great tutorials about how to set up your account using either POP or IMAP, but whichever you choose, once you make the choice, you cannot change and revert to the other without entirely deleting the email account in Outlook first.

If you do choose IMAP, keep in mind that you shouldn't use the "junk email" options available in Outlook, as this sort of confuses gmail (gmail has its own spam folder). You can create new folders within Outlook, drag and drop messages to those folders from your inbox, and they will be reflected when you sign into gmail through Google.

The main reason I use Outlook for gmail is to monitor both of my email accounts at the same time, to share my contacts (yes, it is able to do that without importing anything as long as you are working within Outlook), and to use the multiple signatures that I have created. You can't leave Outlook open endlessly, though, as gmail will close the connection after multiple hours of inactivity. Just keep that in mind.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:54 PM

IMAP - mail stays on server unless you delete it. If you delete it from the folder on your computer, it is gone from the server as well. If you delete it using webmail, it will be deleted from your computer when you next open the client.

Exception is if you move e-mails to local folders. Those messages are viewable only on your computer and no longer on webmail.

Pop e-mail you can configure to either keep mail on server or have it deleted from the server on download. With gmail, the deleted messages will be transferred to trash folder, so they are still on the server in that way for a period of time.

With IMAP, the mail is viewable from any computer unless you have transferred the mail to local folders. With POP, unless you have elected to keep mail on server, once it's downloaded, it's viewable only on that specific computer (unless you are using a portable e-mail client).

There are pros and cons to each.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

One thing that is different with imap at least on Gmail is that you get all of your folders with imap, with pop all you get is your inbox and What ever is in you all mail folder so if your like me and have over 30,000 emails in all mail you dont want pop as it will take days to sync to your computer. Where as imap it will just put it in the correct folder.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users