Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Remove Antivirus 2010 Malware using instructions on this site

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 HelenErnst

HelenErnst

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:30 PM

I am infected with Antivirus 2010 Malware. I have attempted to follow the instructions posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...-antivirus-2010

However I have had no success. Even after running the cacls command, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program terminates after about 4 seconds. I had a similar problem trying to run gmer. I can run the computer in safe mode and access the internet, but as soon as I start in regular mode. I get a warning that "your computer is making unauthorized copies of your system and internet files..." blah blah

I can see in regedit that I have the registry entries for Antivirus 2010. But the post at the link above does not give full instructions for manual removal and I am hesitant to just delete the registry entries. Those instructions are over 2 years old. Is there more going on now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

Hi,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.
  • Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. You can subscribe by clicking the Options box to the right of your topic title and selecting Track This Topic.

• Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

• Please reply to this post so I know you are there.
The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.

Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.

Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 HelenErnst

HelenErnst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

Thank you for responding to this topic, although I am happy to say I do not need help at this time. (I don't know what I would have done without my computer for a week!)

I was finally able to fix my computer by ignoring the errors I got when I logged in to the full system (not in safe mode) and running system restore. I restored the system to the way it was the morning before I became infected; then I ran a full scan with Malwarebytes which located offending files which I was able to remove. I saw other posts about using system restore, but for some reason I wasn't able to run it initially. Not sure why it finally worked. But I have been running without further problems.

There's a lot of nasty stuff out there. I always wonder why these guys don't put their minds to curing cancer.

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:43 PM

I always wonder why these guys don't put their minds to curing cancer.

That wouldn't be so much fun probably <_<

Thanks for letting me know, HelenErnst :thumbup2:

-----------------------------------------------------

This topic has been closed.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact me via pm with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users