Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XPpro in endless boot loop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ldrider

ldrider

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

My pc was infected with some rouge Anti-virus software that I was able to remove using Malwarebytes.
The very last of the instructions during that process was to: Restart Computer
The PC will not restart in any mode. The splash screen comes up and then the PC does what appears to be a hard reboot, exactly as if I shut it down. It then attempts a reboot, and the loop continues. The only way I can get in is during the POST screen to invoke F9, which is a custom feature of my Gigabyte board that allows a rescue CD to be inserted. The interesting thing is that I don't actually have to put any CD in, and the computer will then boot in normal mode. Once in, all features/programs work fine. I've run malwarebytes, AVG 2011, and SUPERAntiSpyware and all come back clean. It is almost like during the removal of the virus, my system files were corrupted. There are no error messages or BSOD at any time, just endless boots a couple of times and then it locks after a few POSTs with a blinking cursor......Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:27 PM

Well...you contradict somewhat in what you state, it seems :thumbsup:.

Does the system boot into Windows in normal mode?

Does it boot into safe mode?

The blinking cursor on XP...typically indicates a damaged MBR. Normal cure for this is to use the XP Recovery Console and run the fixmbr command...but this is not suggested for persons with OEM systems (due to nonstandard nature of the boot structure for those systems).

Since you indicate that you have a Gigabytes board...does that mean that you also have a MS Genuine XP CD?

If so, then I suggest reading Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503.

As for the reboots...we need more info.

Go to Control Panel/Performance & Maintenance/System...Advanced tab.

a. At the bottom of the tab...click the Error Reporting button. Make sure that Enable Error Reporting is chosen and check marks are in the two options. Click OK on that particular tab only.

b. On the Advanced tab, just above Error Reporting...click the Settings button. On the Startup & Recovery tab...under System Failure, checks in first two options, no check in the third option. Under Write Debugging Information...you want "complete memory dump" reflected, along with %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP.

<<It is almost like during the removal of the virus, my system files were corrupted.>>

That happens routinely...for that matter, any file may become damaged routinely...it's only when it becomes obvious that we guess that such has occurred. To repair/replace missing/damaged system files...my choice would be to do a repair install of XP. An alternative is to run the sfc /scannow command. This may or may not solve your problems with your system, it's just an attempt.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

Louis

And...your system may still be infected but I cannot determine such. It just amazes me that people always talk about removing this or that...as if there was only one malware item on the system.

Edited by hamluis, 16 October 2010 - 03:30 PM.

#3 ldrider

ldrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:58 PM

The system will <only> completely boot into Windows using F9, which is particular to the Gigabyte MoBo I am using.
When F9 is pressed, I am asked to insert the Gigabyte Express2 recovery disk (I have no idea what that is) I do nothing, and then the computer loads the O/S with no issues whatsoever.

The system will not completely boot into Windows using any other method. It will get to the XP splash screen, then reboot and the cycle continues.
Yes, I have a genuine XP pro CD
Doing a repair using the XP cd did not solve the problem.

Since I can get to the splash screen, I believe the MBR is fine.
Since I can completely boot into Windows using F9 and have a fully functioning computer I believe this is not a hardware issue.
This entire problem occurred after Malwarebytes found two rouge Anti-virus programs that were causing popups and disabling .exe files from running.

Thank you for your help on this

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:07 PM

Well...my perspective is that it's best to eliminate the possibility of malware.

Whether the method is a clean install or seeking help at a forum for possible malware...that seems to be where I would go.

If you want, I can move this to our Am I infected forum.

Louis

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

I have now managed to install Xpress Recovey 2

I had made the following error previously I Partitioned the SATA 160Gb hard drive approx 140/20 Gb and Formatted the 140 gb in NTFS and the 20Gb in NTFS and Installed Windows XP sp2 on the 140Gb partition along with all my other software. I assumed that Xpress Recovery2 would store an Ghost image of XP / Software on 20Gb partition when booting up using Gigabyte MB CD and selecting Backup I got Message HDD is full Error 403.

As I had a bit of freetime on my hands I did a bit of trial and error and did the Following.
1, I Erased the hard drive (Using Eraser 5.81 Freeware)

2, I Created / Formatted Partition approx 144000Mb and installed Xp / Software on this.

3, This left me a Raw unpartitioned area on the Hard Drive sufficient to Store Ghost Image.

4, I switched off Norton antivirus, anti-Spyware etc.

5, I booted up using MB CD and Xpress Recovery2 loaded and successfully created Ghost Image in unpartioned area on HD.

6, I rebooted PC in boot HD mode pressing F9 (This according to Gigabyte Manual should give you the Xpress Recovery 2 Selection Menu :- RESTORE - RESTORE- DELETE or REBOOT This did not occur!???

7, I therefore rebooted using MB CD and menu appeared and it functions correctly.

8, To prove I Deleted Primery partition and created a New partition NTFS I booted again using MB CD and selected RESTORE within 15 minutes Ghost image of XP / Software was rewritten onto NTFS Partitition.

Hope this helps anyone else trying to install Xpress Recovery 2.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/231706-4...ry-installation
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 ldrider

ldrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:17 AM

The blinking cursor on XP...typically indicates a damaged MBR. Normal cure for this is to use the XP Recovery Console and run the fixmbr command...but this is not suggested for persons with OEM systems (due to nonstandard nature of the boot structure for those systems).

Since you indicate that you have a Gigabytes board...does that mean that you also have a MS Genuine XP CD?

If so, then I suggest reading Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503.

Thank you sir!! Recovery Console and fixmbr did the trick! All is well now..... :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users