Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"ACE.dll not found" errors + Firefox uses too much memory

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 thoughtfullymilly

thoughtfullymilly

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:39 PM

Hello!

Short pre-story:

My computer has been slow for a couple of weeks now. Some of the symptons of an infection were: 1. googleads tabs were being opened in my firefox window without my volition 2. svchost.exe used a great deal of Mem Usage (upto 150 M) 3. Firefox used a great deal of Mem Usage (still does) (upto 210 M) 4. My computer became unbearably slow. I had a free antivirus software called Avira and I suspected that it wasn't doing the job. I uninstalled it and bought a product called BitDefender Total Security 2011. As soon as I finished installing it (this required a reboot), I tried to scan my computer. The first two scans failed to complete due to some sort of error. I restarted my computer, attempted to scan again- same problem. I wrote to their support team and attempted to get it working. Finally it managed to complete a scan- it cleaned out 2-3 problems....I shrugged my shoulders and carried on for several days - until my I noticed that the svchost.exe system process started acting crazy- I had two or three of these processes running simultaneously and using up to 90 M Mem Usage each! I shut down all my programs and attempted to run a BitDefender scan. It claimed my computer was clean! I updated my MalwareBytes antimalware solution- and performed a full scan. It resulted in the removal of several infections and a huge number of items were placed into quarantine.
I cleaned out the infections and deleted everything that was in the quarantine.
As a result, I've uninstalled BitDefender (still waiting for my refund!) and bought the MalwareBytes one year subscription. I'm thinking about buying a proper antivirus suit, but I still haven't decided what to get...so right now my only line of defence is MalwareBytes...and a free non-working version of Microsoft Defender.

The problem:

-Occassionally random tabs are being opened in my Firefox window.
-Firefox uses upto 210 M of Memory (as can be seen via Task Manager) regularly for no real reason (even when I only have text based websites open...)
-Whenever I try to open Adobe Photoshop 7 I get the following message: "This application has failed to start because ACE.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
-When I try to uninstall Adobe Photoshop 7 I get the following message: "Internal error, unable to load or call external DLL. Please contact your vendor for more information."
-Whenever I try to open Bamboo Tutorial I get the following message: "Adobe Projector has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Please tell Microsoft about this problem....etc.
-Whenever I try to update Windows Defender I get the following error message: "Error found Code: 0x80072efe"

What I've done so far:

I've tried restarting my computer. I've tried scanning with Microsoft Defender (didn't yield any results) after manually attempting to update it's log files. The Microsoft Defender message keeps persisting. I've tried scanning with MalwareBytes. MalwareBytes indicated that my computer is clean.
I'm scared that I might have some spyware roaming on my PC...

My computer details:

Make: Sony Vaio
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2005 (Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3)
RAM: 1 Gb
Internet connection: Wireless

Please help!

Edited by hamluis, 16 October 2010 - 03:04 PM.
Moved to Am I Infected forum from XP Home ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users