Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Biggest Oops I've ever made --- help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

Custom built Windows XP Pro computer.

I had 2 drives set up in a RAID mirror array. The array became broken. I pressed F10 to access the RAID array during boot up and went into the RAID software. (Mediashield, I think its called). I deleted the array and then selected the option to rebuild it. Here's the big oops: It asked if I wanted to clear the disk data. For some reason I thought it meant only on the second disk in the array. I selected yes. In the blink of an eye both drives were erased. Now, both hard drives show as unformatted drives. Windows sees them only as Unallocated space.

Now, I know the data is still there, but short of doing a quick format on the drives and running recovery software, I can't access any of it.

Please tell me there is a way to fix this! Did the Raid software just erase the boot record on the drive? Is there a way to rewrite a MBR even though Windows doesn't show the drive as a formatted drive? The only way to see the drives in Windows (hooked up externally on another PC) is to go into Disk Management.

Please help. I'm getting desperate!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:50 PM

I'm sorry but to the best of my knowledge the data on those drives is as gone as if you formatted the drives......
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

Thankfully, even formatting a drive doesn't erase the data that was on the drive. Lots of data recovery programs out there that can save the data off a formatted drive.

Here's what I've done to fix this (so far):
I removed the 1st drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows on the 2nd drive. I downloaded and installed EASEUS Partition Master. Then, I reinstalled the 1st drive in the system and used EASEUS Partition Recovery to recover the partition on the 1st drive. It took all of 10 seconds to undelete the partition. This allowed Windows to see the drive again. This gave me access to all the files on the 1st drive, but did not make it a bootable drive. I'm moving the files over from the 1st to the 2nd drive now.

Could there be a way to make the 1st drive bootable again?

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:32 PM

well, the easiest way, once you get your files off of it, would be to reformat it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users