Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

tracing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scijerif

scijerif

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

I had a HP Pavilion dv7.3165dx notebook that was stoleden last week. Someone told me it had a builtin tracker that could be tracked if used online. Is this true, and how do I use it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

Hi :thumbsup: to Bleepingcomputer!

Well From what I see on the internet and on the specs for the laptop and from personal expirence of having used that laptop I am sure there is no way to track it unless you installed some third party tracking software.
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 scijerif

scijerif
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

Thank you for your time!

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

You are welcome! :thumbsup:
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,558 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:33 PM

Look for IntelŽAnti-Theft Technology software in your next one. I know somw Lenovo's already have it. Otherewise as mentioned you can buy a tracing software.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

http://preyproject.com/ - Prey is a lightweight application that will help you track and find your laptop if it ever gets stolen. It works in all operating systems and not only is it Open Source but also completely free.

Nice video of the app here.

Credit to Noviciate.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:55 PM

Very nice. Thanks for the link RedDawn.
Special thanks to Novicate.

#8 RedDawn