Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apple Airport router sharing infections with windows xp pc?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gr8fandini

gr8fandini

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:04 PM

I didn't know where to put this question since I didn't see a catagory for routers. My wife has a Macbook and I have a PC with windows xp. Both are connected to the internet via and Apple Airport Extreme Wireless router. I'm careful about where I go on the internet but she isn't so cautious. On top of that she has friends that send her CRAP all the time, chain letter style emails, links to stuff like check this out and on and on. Am I at any risk for infection thru the Airport Extreme router since we share that? If so what can I do to protect myself?
Thanks for any help!

Edited by hamluis, 16 October 2010 - 01:51 PM.
Moved from XP forum to AV, Firewall, and Privacy Protection ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

You as a mac user are very well protected against anything she could get infected with, she is very well at risk as for you you are fine. You should make sure your wifes laptop has an antivirus on it and an anti spyware program. (find links in my Signature). :thumbsup: I will see that this will be moved to the appropriate forum. :flowers:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:50 PM

I don't think that's quite true...since I know that there are now router infections via rootkits. As for Mac products...I can't really speak but I believe that Macs now also have malware problems that they deem a nuisance.

Router Infection Data Per Google

Life isn't as simple as it used to be...

IMO, you want simple answers to complex questions and I'm not qualified to do more than opine without knowing.

I will move you to a forum that may give you better answers.

Louis

#4 gr8fandini

gr8fandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

You as a mac user are very well protected against anything she could get infected with, she is very well at risk as for you you are fine. You should make sure your wifes laptop has an antivirus on it and an anti spyware program. (find links in my Signature). :thumbsup: I will see that this will be moved to the appropriate forum. :flowers:

My wife's laptop is a Mac, I have the PC desktop which is wired directly to the Apple Airport extreme router. I have CA security suite installed on my desktop, but I have been reading something about infections, viruses and such using your wireless router to gain access to your equipment. I just want to be safe. As for my wife, I can't seem to stop the activity that worries me so I have to protect myself at least. Is there something I should do to protect the Airport Router from........ well whatever?

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:13 PM

One risk you are running is that your wife will execute a malicious program, or run a script on a malicious web site, that will change the configuration of your router.

A simple example is that said malware will change the DNS settings of your router, and configure it to use a DNS server that will direct you to malicious sites.

But I don't know if there is Mac malware in the wild that will do this.

If not already done, you should harden your router: change the default password, review it settings, and disable Universal Plug and Play.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users