Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive enclosure

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 danthecancanman

danthecancanman

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

I've been planning to get a 1tb external hard drive for backup purposes, but have just considered the possibility of getting an external drive and an enclosure. I don't really know much about this, so I have a few questions.

How does an enclosure work, is it just a simple "plug in your hard drive and it works" procedure?
What connection should I be looking for? I don't know the difference between IDE/SATA etc.
Am I right in saying that a 'normal' desktop hard drive is 3.5"?
Is an enclosure something that won't break down over time?
Are there any disadvantages of going this route vs an external hard drive?

Several questions there, so thanks in advance for any answers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:02 PM

I would just buy one that is made to be external & enclosed my friend just bought a 1TB external enclosed drive and it is pretty nice it has a power light, power switch, power cord to plug into the wall, 2 ways to transfer data you can do it with a USB 2.0 or and ESATA and it has fans to cool it and everything if you want to know more about it tell me he only buys stuff that is decently priced

#3 danthecancanman

danthecancanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

Yeah, I've got an external drive already and it's great. But my thinking is that if I can get an internal drive + enclosure for similar cost, it could save me money in the long term, while also being a lot more flexible - a couple of times an enclosure would've come in handy to take a drive out of my desktop when having hardware problems.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:39 PM

The best advice that can be given is to shop around.

My preference is self assembling one. But that is just me. One recommendation I will make and was mentioned by NuckenFutz. Which ever way you go, be sure it has a fan.

I have seen several different non-fan models fail due to poor design and heat buil-up. Not a pretty thing when gigs and gigs of data, music, and pics are lost. :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,741 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

Also make sure that it's not reliant on USB power, has it's own power pack for plug-in to an electrical outlet/surge suppressor.

I would tend to go with buying an enclosure and a hard drive...some of the sealed drives make it difficult to troubleshoot problems, whereas an enclosuere/drive combo facilitates such.

Louis

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

I am looking seriously at this model and/or others like it by thermaltake

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153066
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

I was going to post earlier about considering a docking station vs an enclosure.

I have 4 enclosures, each has it's own dedicated power supply, 2 have non standard USB cables. It has become a bit of a PITA keeping track of what goes with what. I got 2 cheap docking station at Newegg awhile back (combo deal) and won't go back to enclosures unless I need to transport data to other machines off site. It is just too easy to use a docking station and swap out drives as needed.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:58 PM

For working on Client`s PC`s, constantly swapping drives to recover data, scan, ect. the ease of the docking station can`t be beat.

IMO. For long term storage using a single drive I prefer enclosures. The type of connection, USB, eSATA, firewire is up to the individual and what their PC has available.

I will mention the fan again. And as noted by Hamluis, an external power supply is a + which I overlooked.

#9 danthecancanman

danthecancanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for all the replies, helpful as always. Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between a docking station and an enclosure? I think I probably used the wrong terminology and had a docking station in mind in my original question, didn't know there was more than one option to be honest.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:38 PM

The link provided by DaChew > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153066
Is a docking station. I have also heard them called "caddies".

Example of an enclosure. > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817145085

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users