Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about windows error recovery

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 monkeydog

monkeydog

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:04 AM

Hello, Mother in law has a Dell inspiron 530 w/ intel core 2 duo and vista home installed. When you start the computer it goes to the black screen titled WINDOWS ERROR RECOVERY. At this point I have two options, either launch startup repair or start windows normally. Both options take me to the blue screen saying that windows has shut down to prevent damage.

Suggestions on screen are to disable new hardware or software (have not installed any) other suggestion is to disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. Technical info is ***STOP:0x0000C1F5(0x00000000, 0x00000000,0x00000000)

Have read several items on this and the basic idea I'm getting is that there is no quick fix. She has the vista installation discs that came from Dell with the computer and there is nothing on the computer that is vitally important and needs to be recovered. So my question is would it be easiest and fastest just to wipe the slate clean and re-install vista, or is there something simpler that I could try first? Appreciate any thoughts y'all have on this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

Have a read here: Technical info is ***STOP:0x0000C1F5(0x00000000, 0x00000000,0x00000000) see if the help methods pertain to you.

#3 monkeydog

monkeydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the link, cryptodan. I don't know that I would be able to install the hot fix, as I cannot start up the computer even in safe mode. One of the work-arounds that microsoft lists in the article is to re-install vista. I have a question about that though...

The article says to use an XP or windows 2000 installation media to format the disc and then to reinstall vista. I don't understand the concept of using the xp installation first. Could I not simply insert the vista installation disc, boot from disc, and then reinstall? Thanks!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:04 PM

Yes you should be able to reformat using the Vista Installation Disk.

#5 monkeydog

monkeydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:16 AM

Thanks cryptodan, They're going out of town so I will reformat in a couple days upon return. Hopefully it will resolve the issue. Appreciate the help!

#6 monkeydog

monkeydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

Having a bit of a problem here. I set the computer to boot from cd, and then it says to press any key to continue and I do so. Next it says windows is loading files, and then suddenly I get the same old error screen that was the original problem. How do I go about wiping the slate clean and re-installing the operating system?

Really appreciate any help you have!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:00 PM

Worth a read, IMO: http://www.delmartian.com/nullpointers/Workaround-for-STOP-0x0000C1F5-0xC1F5-C1F5-BSOD-CLFS.SYS-KB946084.html

Louis

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:59 PM

Having a bit of a problem here. I set the computer to boot from cd, and then it says to press any key to continue and I do so. Next it says windows is loading files, and then suddenly I get the same old error screen that was the original problem. How do I go about wiping the slate clean and re-installing the operating system?

Really appreciate any help you have!

At this point in time I think it would be prudent to just replace the drive in question, or by testing the drive with the diagnostics provided by the Hard Drive manufacturer.

#9 monkeydog

monkeydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:13 AM

Thanks hamluis and cryptodan. Hmm, I'm going to read through luis' link again this evening. From the reading I have done on this issue, it seems to me that some people get this error from the corrupted file and some get the error from having a hard drive go bad. Was hoping mine was the first scenario.

Replacing the drive would cost a bit of cash, but may be the easiest fix, especially if after doing other things I end up having to replace it anyway- may as well just get it over with. Will see if any paperwork can be found listing the current drive manufacturer and see about the diagnostic you mentioned.

Thanks all, for the input! will let you know what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users