Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't turn on until I reboot it again, shows a steady amber light.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fiammettia

Fiammettia

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

When I turn on my computer, it shows an amber light on the CPU and the monitor, but does not turn on. When I shut it down using the power switch and restart it works, but my sister is getting tired of having to shut down her computer (which is connected to the same power switch). It functions perfectly well after it is turned on, but has the aforementioned problem turning on in the first place. It isn't a horrible problem, but it is an annoyance, and I am worried that it might be a sign of some worse computer problem.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

QUICK EDIT: I put this in the wrong section- I am running Vista and it has worked perfectly before now. My computer is a dell, not sure what type.

Edited by hamluis, 16 October 2010 - 10:53 AM.
Moved from XP to External Hardware ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:39 AM

When you say power switch are you talking about a surge suppressor? = A device with a single cord that plugs into a wall outlet then your PCs, monitors etc. plug into it.

#3 Fiammettia

Fiammettia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

Yes, a surge supressor. I wasn't sure what the word was.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

Some surge suppressors will have a small button marked reset. Pressing this may solve the problem. If it does`t then I`m sorry to say it may be time to purchase a new one.

#5 Fiammettia

Fiammettia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:50 AM

The surge supressor isn't the problem- it works when I press it, it's just when I turn on my computer using the button on the hard drive it doesn't always work. Sorry if I'm not making much sense...

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:59 AM

but my sister is getting tired of having to shut down her computer (which is connected to the same power switch).

This is the statement that has me confused. And points to the surge suppressor as the common link.

Could you be a little more detailed when mentioning power switches\buttons? Which switch\button on which device does what or does`t do what when pressed.

Am also going to get this moved to external hardware.

#7 Fiammettia

Fiammettia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

She has to shut it down because in order to shut mine down, hers has to shut down too. I just need to restart my computer because it won't turn on properly.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:32 AM

Sounds like possibly two different problems.

She has to shut it down because in order to shut mine down, hers has to shut down too.

That sounds very strange under any circumstances. IMO, still points to the suppressor as the common link.

I just need to restart my computer because it won't turn on properly.

Exactly what happens? You press the power button and.........?

#9 Fiammettia

Fiammettia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:47 AM

A steady amber light shows on the hard drive and the monitor, and the monitor is black. I can't shut it down using the hard drive button, but I can shut it off using the surge suppressor and restart- then it works.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:53 AM

Go to Control panel > Power options > Advanced tab. Where it says When I press the power button on my computer: what does it say in the box below it?

#11 Fiammettia

Fiammettia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:07 AM

It says "shut down".

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

IMO. All this points to the suppressor.

One more thing we can try. With your PC off. If you unplug it from the suppressor and plug it directly into a wall outlet does it turn on and off properly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users