Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Liquid Cooling Solutions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Antiz

Antiz

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:56 AM

Looking for some possible liquid cooling solutions for my rig. The CPU will be overclocked to around 4.2GHz, not sure where Ill feel comfortable with the graphics cards since it'll be my first time messing around with nVidia cards. I'll include everything about the rig, since room seems to be an issue with some cooling systems.

Chassis Model: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition (3.2GHz) (6 Core) (6 MB Cache) AM3 Socket

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

System Memory: 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Power Supply: ABS SL series SL1050 1050W Continuous @50°C

Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGT40G 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Optical Drive 1: ASUS Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive

Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB (PhysX) (EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1472-AR)

Sound Card: Auzen X-Fi Bravura 7.1 (PCI-Express Slot Based)

I dont even know where to start. I'm fairly sure any AM2/AM3 block will fit the CPU, but not 100% so. As for the GPU, I'm not sure where to buy a reliable block for under $150. Everything else [radiator, pump, ect] I just dont know jack shi- about lol. I've never had to worry about a system strong enough to actually need liquid cooling when overclocked -__-;

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:18 AM

You can get a GTX 470 waterblock here for $109.99.
As far as I know, you cannot connect all the hoses in one single loop. You have to get splitters so that the coolant isn't warmed by the previous things cooled. I would highly recommend liquid cooling professionally installed unless you know exactly what you are doing.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:54 PM

www.frozencpu.com offers lots of liquid cooling solutions and parts. Check out maximumpcmag.com for some good liquid cooling ideas too. Research, research, research, before you buy.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 Antiz

Antiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:06 AM

I've been doing all the research I can considering Im in Afghanistan lmao... Ive got the gist of what I want- Main hose to the CPU then it splits, one hose to the NBridge and the other to the GPUs, then reconnect to the radiator.

My main problem I guess is that Im not sure what a good radiator and pump would be. Since I've never done L/C before, Ive never heard of any of these brands before.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:17 AM

The loops, radiators and pumps really depend on the specific system setup you have and what components you want to water cool. Since you are doing a dual video card setup it can be a little tricky. I would say you might benefit from two radiators in order to keep the cooling at its maximum level. Something like the following would be okay. Reservoir to pump, pump to cpu, cpu to video card 1, video card 1 to radiator 1(dual fan if possible), radiator 1 to video card 2, video card 2 to north bridge, north bridge to radiator 2 (single fan is fine), radiator two to reservoir. Of course they sell coolers for your memory and hard drives, ect. Those I would put after the north bridge before the second radiator.

As far as which ones to use. Read as many reviews as you can for the products just like you were picking out any other PC part to get the best feel for which one you want. I always try to go by the products with the best reviews even over my brand preferences as it can save the heartache from a crappy product in the end.

Also here is some sites that will get you more information on setting up a water cooled system. Oh....HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/build_kickass_liquid_cooling_system%E2%80%946_simple_steps

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/home/dream_machine_2010

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a-beginners-guide-for-watercooling-your-pc,1573.html
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users