Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless adapter problems

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sullyj3

sullyj3

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:20 AM

Just recently my Compaq CQ61 has been unable to connect to our houses wireless router. There is a message before windows starts saying there's a problem with the wireless adapter and to go the HP support website. I'm running a windows 7 32 bit. Windows seems to have forgotten that the adapter exists. It isn't acknowledged in device manager. Does anyone have any ideas about what the problem is and what to do about it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:40 AM

First thing I would try, is download the driver for the wireless card from HPs website. What is the full product number? its Compaq CQ61-xxx (replace xs with numbers) should be on the sticker under the laptop.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:09 AM

If the device isn't even reflected in Device Manager...I would check the BIOS to see if it's enabled/recognized.

If onboard, enabled and not reflected in Device Manager, with no prompting at all from Windows to install drivers...I'd say that it's probably dead and needs to be replaced by a PCI card.

Louis

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

If the device isn't even reflected in Device Manager...I would check the BIOS to see if it's enabled/recognized.

If onboard, enabled and not reflected in Device Manager, with no prompting at all from Windows to install drivers...I'd say that it's probably dead and needs to be replaced by a PCI card.

Louis

Compaq CQ61,is a laptop

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:26 PM

Louis

Compaq CQ61,is a laptop

Most of the laptops have replaceable wireless adapters that I have seen, very small cards.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

Louis

Compaq CQ61,is a laptop

Most of the laptops have replaceable wireless adapters that I have seen, very small cards.

very true ,but not a pci card one .

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

Interface (Bus) Type: Mini PCI

Finding the right one for your laptop might be an issue, probably cheaper to get a usb adapter
Chewy

#8 sullyj3

sullyj3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:05 AM

It's a 311-AX. I downloaded the driver, hasn't helped. How would I go about checking if it's enabled in the bios?

#9 sullyj3

sullyj3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:08 AM

BTW, getting an error message before windows starts, I'd assume thats the bios saying its not working? in which case it needs to be replaced? Pain in the butt.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

to get into the BIOS you normally hit the F10 button on boot up until it enters, some computers it varies, it should tell you on the splash screen that pops up immediatly after it turns on. from there,it should be on the first page, should say something along the lines of wlan device ID or something similar. (I have a similar model laptop)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:58 PM

Wireless button Turns the wireless feature on or off but does not create a wireless connection.

Pardon me for asking?
Chewy

#12 sullyj3

sullyj3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:10 AM

asking whether that's the case? No, the wireless on/off button doesnt turn blue when i push it.

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:17 AM

Your wireless card is probably dead. You may be able to replace it, but it would probably be just as cheap to buy a USB adaptor.

picard5.jpg

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:45 AM

in which case it needs to be replaced? Pain in the butt.

Should it need replaced they are usually an easy fix. Finding the proper wireless NIC will be the hard part.

Most mini-pci NICs are located under a cover on the bottom of the machine. The cover is held in place by one, maybe 2 screws and a couple tabs.

1) Locate the proper cover.
2) Remove screw(s). Remove cover.
3) There will be two wires, usually one black & one white, with terminals connecting them to two different posts on the NIC.
4) It does matter which go`s where so take note of how the connecting posts are labeled on the NIC and the corresponding color of the wire.
5) The wireless card is in a slot, mini-pci, with small metal clips, one on either side.
The clips are spring tension only.
6) Gently spread the clips apart and slide the NIC out of the mini-pci slot.
7) Simply reverse the steps to install the new wireless NIC.
8) Note The NIC is keyed. There is a small notch on the side that is inserted into the mini-pci slot. There is a corresponding bump in the mini-pci slot. Just make sure that the terminals to connect the wires are pointing up and you should be all set.

#15 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

Your wireless card is probably dead. You may be able to replace it, but it would probably be just as cheap to buy a USB adaptor.

That is best choice i think ,i actually just bought one to-day ,seems to work great so far ,a no-name of sorts ,i never heard of the company before today ,,i paid 25.00 cdn for mine.
http://www.tp-link.com/products/productDetails.asp?class=wlan&pmodel=TL-WN821N

Edited by caperjac, 19 October 2010 - 04:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users