Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

memtest acting strange, beep codes-screenshot included

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:02 PM

this is the only time that i have ever had a problem with memtest86 not working properly.
the computer is an ibm personal computer 300pl 6892. cpu is pentium II.

i haven't had the computer long, only a couple of weeks. it was given to me with 128mb ram, two sticks of 64mb hyundai hyn7v75801 pc100.
i wanted to see if i could add more, all i had available were 64mb sticks. according to the crucial site, i have numerous options, and that the pc100 64mb stick i have should work. the stick is almost identical to what is in there. this stick is hym7v65801. only one digit is different.

i can run memtest86 with either the original two sticks, or add the third stick and i get the same thing. the screen looks like this:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/773/oct152010006.jpg

the ram seems to be working, though now there are two beep codes when starting. first a long beep with three short ones, a long silent period, then a one-quick-beep.

the computer seems to be working ok considering having only 192mb ram.
does anybody have any idea why memtest is not working. i just used the cd-rom to install a linux distro. so the cd-rom is probably ok, and should i be concerned with the beep code i received?
any advice or tips would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

What linux distro did you install? Can you find out if all of the ram is being seen by the linux distro?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:54 PM

computerxpds,

it looks like the memory/ram issue resolved itself. i don't know how, but i do know the defining moment between when it was only "accepting" two sticks, and then "accepted" the third. i went into the bios, but didn't change anything. then the screen that said 128mb previously, said 192mb instead.
the beep issue went away as well. just one quick beep is all it does now.

the distro at the time was the latest version of salix. i took that hard drive out and installed tinycore (that was after the memory issue resolved itself).
i used the 'dmesg' command in the terminal. i don't know if this info helps:

memory: 181264/196596 available 2807kernel code, 14800k reserved 1194, data 404k init, Ok highmem

i'm not very experienced at linux utilities. if you have any suggestions i'd be glad to try them.
the computer "acts" like the third stick is working, from 128 to a whopping 192.
in all honesty, if the computer continues to act the way it is, i would say it has resolved itself. you can't expect alot from only 192 ram, but it's all i could whip up at the time.

thanks for the reply.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:39 PM

Yeah that seems about right, those old P2's were stubborn little B**** I had one Toshiba a nice solid one, Well I installed windows XP and 3 hours latter it wouldn't start back up again! But any way yeah that looks alright now it most likely needed a BIOS access to recognize the new amount of ram. :thumbsup:

And your welcome, It's what I do! :flowers: That's Why I'm here. :trumpet:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users