Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Hareware Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:09 PM

Okay. For those of you who don't know, my cdrom drive is practically dead. Last night, I go SOME respnse out of it, but it will not read DVD's anymore, and it is sporatic when reading regular cd roms. Well, when it first died, I got so mad at it that I punched the keyboard. There is now a fist shaped dent in the middle of the keyboard. Luckily, nothing was damaged. Now, a new problem has cropped up since last night. There is a series of stuck pixals at the bottom of the screen. They won't move at all.

Now, my dad purchased a two-year warrenty at Best Buy, where we bought the laptop. I don't know if it will cover all of these problems. If it doesn't, then I need to know:

Does anybody know of a place where I could send it in to get it fixed? I can't send it to the manufactorer: Toshiba only has a one year warrenty, and I am past the one year point. Maybe I could ship it to an online vendor, and they could get it up and running again? Or should I break out the yellow pages and find a local place?

I own a Toshiba Sattelite A65-1062, CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, 40 gig hard drive. Input, anyone? Please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 18 November 2005 - 08:46 PM

If you have that extended warranty now is the time to use it. I can't see why there would be a problem having the Combo drive and the pixel problem repaired under warranty. btw Have you tried cleaning the lens in the drive? Use isopropyl alcohol and a quality cotton bud.

You might have to pay for a new keyboard though. :thumbsup:

If they won't fix it under warranty for some reason, then I'd be ringing Toshiba - they will probably be able to recommend a local agent who will repair it (for a price).
:flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 12:11 AM

If you are very careful you should be able to replace the drive yourself. It's not hard, it just takes time. I'm a big advocate of Do-It-Yourself. Clean off the kicthen table, stretch a white sheet over it (white is easier to see on). Get a couple of small screw drivers and you are all set. If you dod, do this make sure the battery is pulled before you crack it open. Or the more obvious, get a external DVD-RW. That frees up 1 gig of drive space when burning a CD, and several gig when burning a DVD. The drawback i you may not be able to boot a usb DVD if you need to reinstall Windows.
I thought I would just entertain some options.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 02:17 AM

If you take a look inside the case, you may see the problem at hand.

With all of the "hits" and "knocks" you may have something lose inside or a piece of something touching somewhere it shouldn't. If something inside is pushing on the screen, it could give you the pixel problem.

The laptop you mention is a good enough machine. I do remember something awhile back about a "cd-rom cable problem" that affected the keyboard functions on this machine, but it was some time ago. I will try and locate this, but I do not know if I will be successful :thumbsup: .

The Toshiba Computer Service & Support Website http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp offers a rich collection of downloadable drivers and software, Support Bulletins, and other self-help resources.

Toll-Free Technical Support by Toshiba:

* Computers:(800) 457-7777

Best Buy should honor the two year. Keep in mind that the "punch" could let them out of their warranty. You should leave that part out of the talks! Go here for more info: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id...goryId=cat10008

Edited by micaman, 19 November 2005 - 02:37 AM.

#5 rms4evr

rms4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for all of the input, you guys. I want to see if I can get a new keyboard before I contact Best Buy. Does anyone know where I could get one (online or in-store), and, if I can get one, how would I go about installing it? The keyboard is still fully functional. Maybe I could remove it some how and pound out the dent? Please let me know if you have any input.

As for the CD rom, I need to get the internal drive working. I have already needed to use the boot disc that came with the computer. I have a feeling that I may need it again. So once I tackle the keyboard issue, I will probably call Best Buy. Thanks again, everyone! :thumbsup:

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 05:44 PM

You should be able to get a USB keyboard and plug it in the side or back port. Maybe you can get one at Bestbuy :thumbsup: or here at Newegg onlline

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....&Go.x=9&Go.y=33

If your not a do it yourselfer here's the Toshiba Repair center locator

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...kceghdgngdgmn.0
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 rms4evr

rms4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 07:53 PM

Okay... I may have found a place to get a replacement keyboard:

http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/

They have replacement keyboards for laptops, including my model. As much as I appreciate all the links to purchase external parts, I want to have everything the way it used to be: all in the laptop itself.

Now, the next question:

Should I just order the part and install it myself, of ship to someone and let them do it? I'm afraid that if I open the laptop up, I'll either break something, make what is already broken worse, of void the warrenty at Best Buy.

Any thoughts?

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:58 PM

I know I'm going to regret this but for what it's worth....
Laptop keyboards are usually very simple to replace and do not involve you opening the case at all. There are normally some hidden screws or latches near the edge of the keyboard which then can be flipped up to reveal the connector. The connector most likely has an outer sleeve which needs to be raised to release the cable. The Toshiba support site may even tell you how to do this.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:31 PM

Well rms, I guess you can take it to Best Buy and try. If they let the dent slide,go for it. If not ask for an estimate. The part is about $50 to 60 plus labor. Ask or read your warranty about voiding by self repair. You may have already voided it with that shot.
Anyway here's a link of steps 5 - 8 ( for a Toshiba A65 1062) to DIY. You should use a good screwdriver for this. You'll also need thin flat blade driver, putty or butter knife. can of compresed air to clean it whil it is open. Pay attention to the order of removal and differences in screw sizes. I usually take a box cover and lay all the screws in order as I remove them,for easier reverse installation.

the link http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Tosh...65/satA65_1.htm

Edited by boopme, 19 November 2005 - 10:34 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:57 PM

Nice post boopme. :thumbsup:

#11 rms4evr

rms4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:45 PM

Thanks, everybody! I need step by step instructions! I'll check the warrenty to see what exactly is covered. If I can, I may install the replacement keyboard and cd rom drive myself; that way, I only have to pay for labor costs on the damaged pixals. However, I am going to wait til after finals, (and until I have money! :thumbsup: ), to do all of this. But I will take all of this to heart. Thanks again! I'll let you all know how this turns out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users